The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L/Cp. Major Phillips and Lt. Parry

eric e

Hello Shirley! I must admit I was not aware that your mother told you about this incident (Plus your older sister in Australia). As you know my wife & I use to bump into you & your husband In Kenilworth but we have not seen you about for ages. We must make the effort & get together soon. Get back to me soon, Brian.

Hello there,

Raymond Barrington Parry was my great grandfather.

According to my grandmother who, at 91 years old is very much still alive, he was badly injured and carried for four miles across no mans land by Major Parry, his 'batman' (?)

Though he never fully recovered from his wounds, he was able to bring up his family, and the story of his saving from the Somme was something he passed on to my grandmother.

The details of the cigarette case and annual food hampers wasn't known to my grandmother until I found this forum. Thank you for helping me extend this important family story for her.

Major Philips is now known to us by name, and he lives on as this story is passed down to the next generation of our family.

Best regards,

- Alex

Hello Alex!

My name is Brian Phillips and Major Phillips was my grand father. As you will see in a recent reply I am indebted to my old work colleague Eric who posted the cigarette case & details of the incident in Mametz Wood (Battle of the Somme) in 1916, back on 23/07/2008. I am pleased you have replied as I was giving up on anyone being related to this happening. Alex, I am now retired and getting a little better with my computer and lord knows I now have a little more time. I am pleased to here Lt.Parry's sister is well and has reached the good age of 91 years. You are very lucky to be able to converse with her, so look after the good lady.

I can only thank you for you kind comments about my grandfather but I think we can both appreciate that these men all looked after one another. We cannot, really imagine what all the front line soldiers went through.

My father took me to Ypres when I was 12 - 13 years old & we went to view the graves at the Menin Gate. However he did not find my grandfathers grave but asked and was told to view the names on the Menin Gate which gave the names of soldiers who have no known grave. We found his name after some searching and I can tell you my father broke down and I was too young to really comfort him.

My son also took me back to Ypres for my 50th birhtday along with my wife and daughter. I was very fortunate to be invited back to the fine mansion house by the son (now in his 90's) of the Mayor of the town ~ that's another story!

It was my mother who told me about this incident not my father. She said my grandfather carried Lt.R.B.Parry back to the medics and then went back to help others but was killed in the process. This could not have happened because he was killed in action on the first day of action in the 3rd battle of Ypres 31/07/1917 ( Passchendale). Funny how these stories become distorted over the years. My mother also told me that your greatgrandfather sent my grandmother Florence (She had two young sons & a daughter) food parcels every Christmas until she remarried. How true this is I don't know.

I hope we can carry on conversing on this subject as I am only to pleased for any further information regarding Lt.Parry.

Best wishes to you , your grandmother & your family.

Hi Brian This is Shirley ,nee Richardson, please contact me re the Cigarette Case, shirleyspann@mac.compoppy.gif

Hello Shirley! I must admit I was not aware that your mother told you about this incident (Plus your older sister in Australia). As you know my wife & I use to bump into you & your husband In Kenilworth but we have not seen you about for ages. We must make the effort & get together soon. Get back to me soon, Brian.

Hi Brian This is Shirley ,nee Richardson, please contact me re thepoppy.gif Cigarette Case, email - shirleyspann@mac.com

Hi Brian This is Shirley ,nee Richardson, please contact me re the poppy.gifCigarette Case, email - shirleyspann@mac.com

Eric, May I thank you for all your help with placing the cigarette case & details relating to my grand father Major (Christian name not rank) Phillips & Lt. R.B Parry. Without your help I would not have learnt that my cousin's Trixie, Shirley and Alex Cane would reply. As you are aware my computer skills are not good, but now I have retired I hope I can now progress from here. Thanks again to you my old workmate & friend.

Regards, Brian

Hello Alex!

I am the custodian of the cigarette case which my father gave me. I will, in turn leave it to my son. My name is Brian Phillips and Major Phillips was my grand father. As you will see in a recent reply I am indebted to my old work colleague Eric who posted the cigarette case & details of the incident in Mametz Wood (Battle of the Somme) in 1916, back on 23/07/2008. I am pleased you have replied as I was giving up on anyone being related to this happening. Alex, I am now retired and getting a little better with my computer and lord knows I now have a little more time. I am pleased to here Lt. Parry's sister is well and has reached the good age of 91 years. You are very lucky to be able to converse with her, so look after the good lady.

I can only thank you for you kind comments about my grandfather but I think we can both appreciate that these men all looked after one another. We cannot, really imagine what all the front line soldiers went through.

My father took me to Ypres when I was 12 - 13 years old & we went to view the graves at the Menin Gate. However he did not find my grandfathers grave but asked and was told to view the names on the Menin Gate which gave the names of soldiers who have no known grave. We found his name after some searching and I can tell you my father broke down and I was too young to really comfort him.
My son also took me back to Ypres for my 50th birthday along with my wife and my daughter. I was very fortunate to be invited back to the fine mansion house by the son (now in his 90's) of the Mayor of the town ~ that's another story!

It was my mother who told me about this incident not my father. She said my grand father carried Lt.R.B.Parry back to the medics and then went back to help others but was killed in the process. This could not have happened because he was killed in action on the first day of action in the 3rd battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) 31/07/1917. Funny how these stories become distorted over the years. My mother also told me that your great grandfather sent my grandmother Florence (She had 3 young sons & 2 daughters) food parcels every Christmas until she remarried. How true this is I don't know.

I hope we can carry on conversing on this subject as I am only too pleased for any further information regarding Lt.Parry.

Best wishes to you, your grandmother & your family.

Brian. J.Phillips

Guest Trixie-Farn

Hello Brian,

this is Trixie the 'older sister' by 4 years in Australia. I emailed Shirley today. As children I knew you existed but don't recall seeing you I probably did, I knew David and Janice the most, and Eric my husband and I visited Janice some years ago with our Hilary, we also visited with David and his wife Pauline as well

I used to visit with Aunt Phil often on a Sunday especially after we moved to Earlsdon. On Sundays as younger children we would meet Uncle George as we came out of church and he would go into the Lyric cinema and buy us a chocolate whirl, what a treat.

It has been amazing to see the cigarette case you have care of. We knew of Grancha Phillips wartime death, although we were told he was shot while defending his commanding officer no details, and about the Xmas parcels. I also learned from research that a brother Richard George Phillips, he was aged 37 when he was killed, July 1916. Their Father died in the Feb. of 1916. So learning more is always good, I also contacted the Great Grandson Alex via Ancestry as I have been doing family trees since after our Father died in 1996.

I hope you have a pleasant meet with Shirley and David, and nice to be able to write to you at this time.

regards Trixie

Hi! Trixie, We now have each others email so we can keep in touch. I am sorry for all the previous duplicated replies on the 2nd page, but I could not see my reply when I first logged on ~ now realise to forward to other pages. I would be grateful for your help in getting Alex Cane to come back to me through the forum. Keep in touch. P.S. How's your sister Janice?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

According to my grandmother who, at 91 years old is very much still alive, he was badly injured and carried for four miles across no mans land by Major Parry, his 'batman' (?)

Though he never fully recovered from his wounds, he was able to bring up his family, and the story of his saving from the Somme was something he passed on to my grandmother.

The details of the cigarette case and annual food hampers wasn't known to my grandmother until I found this forum. Thank you for helping me extend this important family story for her.

Major Philips is now known to us by name, and he lives on as this story is passed down to the next generation of our family.

Best regards,

- Alex

• 3 months later...
Guest Trixie-Farn

Hi Alex,

Trixie here, I have been wondering if you found out whether the photo I sent yous sometime ago was of your Grandfather or not, as I hadn't heard from you and Brian my cousin had been asking me about it. I would like to have an answer at your convenience of course. Trixie

Hello there,

Best regards,

- Alex

• 1 year later...

Hello Alex!

My name is Brian Phillips and Major Phillips was my grand father. As you will see in a recent reply I am indebted to my old work colleague Eric who posted the cigarette case & details of the incident in Mametz Wood (Battle of the Somme) in 1916, back on 23/07/2008. I am pleased you have replied as I was giving up on anyone being related to this happening. Alex, I am now retired and getting a little better with my computer and lord knows I now have a little more time. I am pleased to here Lt.Parry's sister is well and has reached the good age of 91 years. You are very lucky to be able to converse with her, so look after the good lady.

My son also took me back to Ypres for my 50th birhtday along with my wife and daughter. I was very fortunate to be invited back to the fine mansion house by the son (now in his 90's) of the Mayor of the town ~ that's another story!

It was my mother who told me about this incident not my father. She said my grandfather carried Lt.R.B.Parry back to the medics and then went back to help others but was killed in the process. This could not have happened because he was killed in action on the first day of action in the 3rd battle of Ypres 31/07/1917 ( Passchendaele). Funny how these stories become distorted over the years. My mother also told me that your greatgrandfather sent my grandmother Florence (She had 3 young sons & 2 daughter's) food parcels every Christmas until she remarried. How true this is I don't know.

I hope we can carry on conversing on this subject as I am only to pleased for any further information regarding Lt.Parry.

• 4 months later...

Hello Alex!

It was my mother who told me about this incident not my father. She said my grandfather carried Lt.R.B.Parry back to the medics and then went back to help others but was killed in the process. This could not have happened because he was killed in action on the first day of action in the 3rd battle of Ypres 31/07/1917 ( Passchendale). Funny how these stories become distorted over the years. My mother also told me that your greatgrandfather sent my grandmother Florence (She had three young sons & two daughter) food parcels every Christmas until she remarried. How true this is I don't know.

Hi Brian This is Shirley ,nee Richardson, please contact me re the Cigarette Case, shirleyspann@mac.com :poppy:

• 9 months later...

Just to advise members who are following this topic.

My cousin and I were invited to attended the Antiques Roadshow @Cirencester 13th June 2013 . We were filmed giving details of the cigarette case with our story regarding the incident in Mametz Wood, the present of the case by R.B. Parry and then to the death of our grandfather C/PL Major Phillips in the 3rd battle of Ypres.

We are pleased that our story has been chosen and will appear in the November episode.

We have also been included in Paul Atterbury's Antique Roadshow 'World war one in 100 family treasures". Pages 156 to 158.

I would like to thank my cousin Shirley Spann for her remarkable input in getting us there.

• 2 years later...

I have just notified my cousin Shirley and the family of Lt.Raymond Barrington Parry that I will be attending ''The National Commemoration of the Centenary of Paschendale ~ The Third Battle of Ypres'' and attending The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Tyne Cot Cemetery on 31st July 2017 (100yrs ago my grandfather Major Phillips lost his life on 31st.July 1917).

I hope to give more information on my return.

Edited by ivedonesomethings
wrong date put in by mistake