The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

GALLIPOLI SNIPER, The Life of Billy Sing

Jeff Pickerd

John Hamilton’s latest book “GALLIPOLI SNIPER, The Life of Billy Sing”, will be released on the 1st August 2008. (Australia)

It is a fitting sequel to the first book, GOODBYE COBBER, GOD BLESS YOU”, and again John Hamilton has told the story through the words of the men who knew and fought alongside No. 355 Trooper William Edward Sing D.C.M. of the 5th Light Horse Regiment, the most successful and the most feared Gallipoli Sniper, accredited with over 200 ‘kills’.

The life of Billy Sing has been thoroughly researched and unfolds in the easy manner and flowing style of John Hamilton’s work, but it is more than the story of Sing, daubed by the Anzac’s, ‘The Assassin’ or ‘The Murderer’. It is also the story of the 5th Light Horse Regiment, of Major Midgley, the “Old Bird”, of Brigadier-General Ryrie, “Bull”, and fellow officers and men.

A fascinating and most enjoyable, easily read book

The cover notes aptly describe the book:

(Quote) “John Hamilton has written an extraordinary account of a hidden side of the Gallipoli campaign – the sniper’ war. Following Sing from his recruitment onwards, Hamilton takes us on a journey into the squalor, dust, blood and heroism of Gallipoli, seen from the unique viewpoint of the sniper. It is also a moving exploration of the aftermath of war, as Billy Sing returned home, a celebrated killer trying to adapt to a peacetime world.

Gallipoli Sniper is a powerful and very different account of World War One and its effect on those who fought in it.”

The book runs to 340 pages, 32 centre photographs, extensive Bibliography and Acknowledgements stand testament to the depth of research, and the book has a full Index.

I highly recommend this fine work to all.

Jeff

An interesting character and, as Kim says, there is an element of sadness in his life. I recall several articles have been written about Sing, but this book sounds like it will have much greater depth.

I have e-mailed the details to my daughter who lives in WA to tell her what to buy me for Christmas when I visit in December !

To those who have enquired, John Hamilton's GALLIPOLI SNIPER officially launched in Australia today. Most leading book stores in Melbourne had it prominantly displayed.

Over the past week John Hamilton has been interviewed on radio stations in Melbourne and Sydney, and as far afield as Longreach and Bega.

I wish John every success, it is a fine book and a remarkable story.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing the latest news of GALLIPOLI SNIPER by John Hamilton to the fore.

After the books second week on sale in Australia, and by all reports, selling very well, the publishers Pan Macmillan have announced a reprint already.

It is very pleasing to see from the publishers web site, that John's book now stands as the number one non-fiction bestseller.

http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/bestsellers.asp

It is a fine book, well written and well researched. John Hamilton has not only uncovered a great deal of information on the life of Billy Sing, but virtually walked in the footsteps of William Sing, and the men of the 5th Light Horse Regiment, through central Queensland to Chatham's Post, Gallipoli. He follows Billy Sing after the Gallipoli campaign, back to Egypt and then onto France, until his return to Australia at the end of 1918.

I again highly recommend this book, there are some remarkable personal accounts recorded, a very fine book indeed.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Just (literally) finished reading this book. Highly recommended

• 8 months later...

The author of "Gallipoli Sniper", Mr John Hamilton gave a public lecture on the writing of his book at the Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, last Thursday, 11th June.

The Shrine of Remembrance web site, at 'Public Programs and Exhibitions', now has the audio of this lecture on-line.

http://www.shrine.org.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1929

Some of you may also be interested to hear the audio of some of the previous lectures.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Droocoo,

If you thought "Gallipoli Sniper" was a 'good book', and if you have not already done so, get hold of a copy of John's first book, Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You".

The only work of its type that gives an deep understanding of what really took place at the Charge at the Nek, as told in the main part, by the men themselves.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought "Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You" was truly an excellent book, however I was a little disappointed with "Gallipoli Sniper", maybe because John's first book was so good. There was too much supposition on Billy Sings life for me, especially that covering his time on the Peninsula. It read more like a general Gallipoli account with the occasional mention of Sing, as opposed to the other way around. Saying that John has brought to light what looks like new material on his life, sketchy as it is in places, it still fills a missing chapter in Gallipoli history. So well done in getting this to press, it looks like another popular read.