The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Release

john jerome mcmanus

G'day all,

Just a brief line to announce the release of a new book.

The title is: 'In the Footsteps of Private Lynch' and was written by Will Davies. It was published by Vintage Books ( Random House ) and was available in stores in Australia from 1/8/08. RRp is A$34.95.

The book contextualises or shows the big picture that surrounds Lynch's diary as so brilliantly edited by Will Davies in Somme Mud. Easy reading and a great companion to the original.

Regards

Pop.

Thanks Pop - you beat me to it.

Hubby's just been informing me of the details after listening to an interview with Will Davies on Richard Stubbs radio program this 'avo.

I'm sure it will be well worth a read.

Cheers, Frev

G'day Mick

Don't know at this stage but will make enquiries and get back to you ASAP

Regards

Pop

Yippee, I can't wait to run down to the bookshop tomorrow....Somme Mud is one of my fav. books ....I know what I will be doing this weekend and it has nothing to do with the Olympics :D

Elle

Yes, this sounds like one that will definitely be added to my bookshelf as a follow up to the excellent 'Somme Mud'. Will Davies hinted here on the forum that there may be a TV documentary at some point too - hope so!

ciao,

GAC

G'day Mick

Don't know at this stage but will make enquiries and get back to you ASAP

Regards

Pop

Thanks mate.

G'day Mick, GAC et al,

I spoke to Will Davies yesterday and he advised me that the book is not available overseas at this stage.

However, he is in the process along with Mick Lynch ( E Lynch's grandson ) of setting up a website dedicated to instruct people how to research WW1 soldiers and will make the book available for purchase on-line.

Best I can tell you at the moment - watch this space!

Regards all

Pop

The book is available from sellers in the US and the UK.

e.g. HERE AT ABEBOOKS.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all

Just to let Sydney members of the GWF that Will Davies will be giving a speech about his book In the Footsteps of Private Lynch at the Stanton Library, Miller Street, North Sydney on Thursday 20/09/08 at 1.00pm

G'day all

Just to let you know the advertised date that I gave for Will Davies' speech about his latest book was completely wrong. It is this Thursday 21/8/08 at the Stanton Library, Miller St, North Sydney.

Regards

Pop

Pop,

Are bookings needed for the book launch? Or just turn up.

Scott

G'day Scott and Kim,

Hope to see you there Scott and will certainly let you know how it went Kim

Regards

Pop

I'll look out for you Pop. Hopefully I won't be the only one under forty. I don't have a GWF badge so will wear a slouch hat rememberance pin on my shirt.

Regards,

Scott.

G'day Scott

Look for me with a leather wrist splint on the right hand

Pop

Just a note to say that Will Davies talk about his new book was low key and very informative. Will started out by explaining his background and how he arrived at “Somme Mud”. He had a type written leather bound version on hand that had been typed up by Lynch’s son many years ago as well as some battlefield relics.

Will explained that Lynch’s original version was 180,000 words long. The first publisher Will approached originally wanted the text edited to 80,000 words, however a second publisher accepted it at 120,000 words. Will explained that “In the footsteps” arose due to his desire to place some context around the book. Originally he intended a section at the beginning of each chapter outlining the context.

When this amounted to 20,000 words he realised it wasn’t going to work with the edited text, hence the new book. Will also told of how each chapter in the new book marries up with the same chapter in “Somme Mud”. I'm sure will said that the final version of "Somme Mud" was around 135,000 words.

EPF Lynch’s son Ned was present, himself quite an elderly man. I also asked if his father had kept in touch with his comrades.

Ned lynch explained that his father was a country teacher who did not have the money or the ease of access to travel like we do presently so was unable to. It dawned on me how much society has changed since those day’s. There is a photo of Ned and Edward Lynch on the way to the horse races in the new book. Unmistakably father and son.

Will also did a few readings from “Somme Mud”. I have to admit I have not read “Somme Mud”. I started into the new book last night and don’t think it will be long before I do read “Somme Mud”.

It was good to meet another forum member ( Pop) there. Well worth attending.

Regards,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinEndon

I have just read this book in 1 day, its brilliant. It adds a huge amount of extra detail to Somme Mud. A brilliant piece of writing and each book complement each other.

Kevin

I have borrowed this book off Kev and it is looking to be a fantastic follow up to Somme Mud. I will let you know what I think of it when I have finished.

Doug eye eye.

G'day'

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread - I am sure Will Davies would be proud.

I agree that 'In the footsteps' is a great companion and either book could be read chapter for chapter with the alternate.

Regards

Pop

Guest KevinEndon

What does come over is the white lies or little fibs or slight change of areas that Nulla or Lynch talk about and the good thing is that Will Davies does not try to hide these facts. What it does do is leave a little bad taste in the mouth of Somme Mud because we now realise that what Lynch said is not all truths. Well done Will Davies for pointing these little lies out he could have easily have not pointed out that Lynch was not where he should have been at a certain time. Take for instance when the mines went up at Messines, Lynch said he had a beautiful view of it but the war diary and Will Davies show that he was at least 6 km away from it as he had to be on parade very soon after the mines went up.

Brilliant book and well worth £30 postage from America.

Kevin

Thanks for letting us know. I really enjoyed Somme Mud, so this will be on the Christmas list.

What does come over is the white lies or little fibs or slight change of areas that Nulla or Lynch talk about and the good thing is that Will Davies does not try to hide these facts. What it does do is leave a little bad taste in the mouth of Somme Mud because we now realise that what Lynch said is not all truths. Well done Will Davies for pointing these little lies out he could have easily have not pointed out that Lynch was not where he should have been at a certain time. Take for instance when the mines went up at Messines, Lynch said he had a beautiful view of it but the war diary and Will Davies show that he was at least 6 km away from it as he had to be on parade very soon after the mines went up.

Brilliant book and well worth £30 postage from America.

Kevin

Kev

Without disrespect , I feel that being "6 kms away from it" would not categorically prevent Lynch having a beautiful view of it.

There were a number of mines and it appears that there would be more than 6kms between the 'furthermost' mines. Those on Hill 60 might well have been seen from many miles away.

Sb