The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Asquith as War Leader"

Greenwoodman

Sorry Richard, I have the book but have only just seen this post. It's a useful account though sometimes sparse on the detail of some things I'd have expected to find there - for instance its account of the first War Council of 5 August 1914 goes into very little detail of what was discussed as far as military operations and the need for a rapid expansion in manpower with its associated logistical and training problems are concerned, even though the book's purpose, inherent in its title, is not to be an Asquith biography but an account of his performance as a war leader. The 5 August War Council pages concern themselves mainly with the issue of the reason's for Asquith's acquiescence in Kitchener's appointment.

What the book does convey strongly are the difficulties which Asquith laboured under and the sheer amount of criticism directed upon him - but he bore it all. The Punch cartoon on p. 10 says it all - it shows Asquith's head as an ice cube bobbing imperturbably about in a glass which is being filled with boiling water from kettles marked "criticism". The caption is "Cool Stuff" and has Asquith saying "You can make it as hot for me as you like. I shall not dissolve."

Cassar sums him up with some admiration: "During the twenty-eight months that Asquith managed the war, he faced problems of an unprecedented nature and of much greater difficulty than those of his successor. To make matters worse he had to deal with his political opponents throughout much of that period, to say nothing of the blatant disloyalty of Lloyd George, who undermined him whenever it suited his purpose. [Haig, across the Channel, would certainly later have cause to sympathise with Asquith over the difficulties caused by trying to conduct a war whilst being constantly stabbed in the back by L-G! - GAC] Nevertheless, he resolved the big questions of munitions supply and manpower and established the means for the expansion of production. All the strategic elements that would produce victory, save for the convoy system, were in place when he passed the mantle of leadership to Lloyd George. His achievements are sufficiently impressive to earn him a place as one of the outstanding figures of the Great War."

The politician's is traditionally - and often deservedly - a thankless task, of course. But in Asquith's case the lack of recognition accorded him by posterity is perhaps less deserved than in many cases. On the whole, I find myself agreeing with much of Cassar's positive assessment of Asquith. What did you make of it yourself?

Best,

George

Its some way down the pile, George. I asked to see if it was worth elevating it, but Hart, Zabecki and de Meneses are likely to claim my attention first. Thanks for your assessment, much obliged.