The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regeneration

Ross Barnwell

The most recent First World War book I have read. It is set in Craiglockhart Hospital, the place in which Siegfried Sassoon met Wilfred Owen. It is a mix of fact and fiction, set entirely on the home front. Once I read this I realised how little a knew about the home front! And especially the treatment and general view of men with war neurosis.

Regeneration is part of a trilogy, although I have yet to read the other two! It is definitely a great read and I think it gives First World War fiction a whole new look.

I read the trilogy sometime ago.

I thought that Regeneration was the best of the three.

It will be interesting to hear your take on it when you get round to reading them all.

Regards

Chris

I read it about five or six years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew a little about Owen and Sassoon though so found it cleverly constructed. Have not read the other two as yet.

My mother-in-law has been trying to read it lately for her bookclub so have explained the background for her. I would be interested in knowing what non- first world war buff's reading it think of it not knowing the background.

I would like to see the movie. Have only caught about ten minutes of it late one night on cable. Not sure if it was released officially down-under.

A good book.

Regards,

Scott

Well I never realised there had been a film made! I've looked into it, however, and it seems as though it was released in 1997/98 here in the UK. Definitely worth a watch.

-Ross

I am just about coming to the end of "Eye in the door" the second part of the trilogy, and it's getting really interesting - drawing lots of threads together imho. The final part, The Ghost Road, earned Barker the Booker prize so I am looking forward to getting to that when I'm on holiday.

I was a little disappointed with Regeneration, especially having seen the excellent film with Jonathan Price as Rivers. I made the mistake of moving straight from "Goodbye to all that" onto the Regeneration trilogy - I couldn't believe how much Barker had lifted from Robert Graves' book, felt I was reading the same thing twice.

Norrette

I read it about five or six years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew a little about Owen and Sassoon though so found it cleverly constructed. Have not read the other two as yet.

My mother-in-law has been trying to read it lately for her bookclub so have explained the background for her. I would be interested in knowing what non- first world war buff's reading it think of it not knowing the background.

I would like to see the movie. Have only caught about ten minutes of it late one night on cable. Not sure if it was released officially down-under.

A good book.

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

Depending on how you're set up you can watch it online via I-tunes. I did this just a few weeks back. The fee is very small, and you can watch the film for a period of 24 hours.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I'll speak to a friend who is familiar with i-tunes and see if I can have a look at the movie.

Regards,

Scott

Just so you know, depending on where you live, the title of the movie "Regeneration" is actually "Behind the Lines". I ordered it through Amazon.ca and it appears that in North America at least it's name was changed, apparently to reach a wider audience. Not sure why they would change it because it could be confused with the movie "Behind Enemy Lines".

Anyway, just wanted you to know that in case you are interetsed in purchasing it.

P.S. If you check on eBay there are some pretty cheap, new (sealed) copies of the movie. It's worth the money if you liked the books.

Just so you know, depending on where you live, the title of the movie "Regeneration" is actually "Behind the Lines". I ordered it through Amazon.ca and it appears that in North America at least it's name was changed, apparently to reach a wider audience. Not sure why they would change it because it could be confused with the movie "Behind Enemy Lines".

Anyway, just wanted you to know that in case you are interetsed in purchasing it.

P.S. If you check on eBay there are some pretty cheap, new (sealed) copies of the movie. It's worth the money if you liked the books.

The I-tune version (at least on my I-tunes) was the "Behind the Lines," title.

Paul

• 1 month later...

I read the book ages ago when my ex Mrs.used to hand me all her books on her Uni course.Ian Banks Crow Rd.was good so was Oranges are not the only fruit(or something,it was before it made it to the TV) but this one really got to me,even though it's not brill.

Luckily,I had just about forgotton the story when I saw the dvd last week & ,I have to say,it was excellent.

The few trench scenes have a realism that isn't apparent in any other film I have seen of the Great War.Jonny Lee Miller is outstanding,which says something for him,as I cant stand him!

Watch it!

Dave.

I really like the trilogy. There are many who don't. Have a look in the Books section and you'll come across long discussions about Pat Barker's work.

She's not a relation either. ;)

Stephen

The WJEC (the Welsh Joint Education Committee) in its wisdom has it as a set book to be studied by A Level pupils and it is very popular amongst the students!

For all those people who knock modern standards by today's pupils they should read some of the essays my lot have written on it over the past few years. It is a wonderfully inspiring book.

The film is a cracker too! The scene with Yealland and Callan is horrific!

Trebrys.

I bought the dvd when it came out here in North America renamed "Behind the Lines." It is worth buying period.

John

Toronto

I couldn't get on with it at all. But then I don't generally like fiction and Regeneration" is much closer to fiction than fact, I believe.

Please read the "Classic" Thread "Most Boring Disliked Books"....Pat Barkers Literary efforts gets a real Stafing,and rightly so !!!.The DVD wasnt too bad though.I just about managed to watch it all the way through.Amazon are currently selling the Original B and White version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" for around £4.00....now thats Worth Buying.

Read this thread too for its considered contributions.

Thanks Gwyn. I'd forgotten that I'd started that thread. Rather good discussion I think.

Stephen

Amazon are currently selling the Original B and White version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" for around £4.00....now thats Worth Buying.

Oh definitely not, I waited years to see that film, it was so recommended to me yet I stopped watching and started channel hopping when it was on sky movies not that long ago. I think for me it was too lauded and as a result I didn't like it.

I saw the film first (Regeneration) and then got the books to read subsequent to that. I enjoyed the film but would happily concede I feel I have seen better efforts. The books IMO got weaker as the series progressed.

• 5 years later...

Just reading Undertones of War (where have you been i hear you say) anyway i take it the scene in part 6 of youtube version at 2 minutes in was 'inspired' by Edmund Blunden's book

Page 64

" I went along three fire-bays; one shell burst behind me;I saw its smoke faint out, and thought all was as lucky as it should be. Soon a cry from that place recalled me; the shell had burst all wrong. Its butting impression was black and stinking in the parados where three minutes ago the lance-corporal's mess tin was bubbling over a little flame. For him, how could the gobbets of blackening flesh, the earth wall sotted with blood, with flesh, the eye under the duckboard, the pulpy bone be the only answer? "
Mike

Mike

Good cross referencing. I've read both books (some years apart) and hadn't made the link :thumbsup:

Not a huge fan of Barker's trilogy although I'd have to say many of the scenes stick in your head they are so vivid. Her current series in which she has returned to the war ('Life Class' and 'Toby's Room') goes to even darker spaces as it features the disfigured soldiers drawn by Henry Tonks. They are a hard read.

I loved the film, or more specifically I loved the performance of Jonathan Pryce as Rivers. A master class of film acting. The harrowing scene when you see electric shock treatment on a soldier is made all the worse by watching Rivers' reaction to it

David

I started "regeneration" a while back, but had to put it away, because ... it just did not feel well... got bored, did not understand everything, it was a bit messy...

Now my sister got me a book voucher for a library I never go to (because they never have what I'm looking for... whatever... ) and the only book I found there matching the amount was the trilogy in one volume... I'll start all over soon and hope I'll get more out of it.

But I have to agree with some comments here... there's only so much Pat Baker you can have... not my favourite author.

MM.

Coincidentally I'm just reading Blunden as well and picked up on the same passage, but had already noticed others - in the film Owen describes skulls in the side of the trench like mushrooms, as does Blunden, and both comment on Marlborough's army. There was something else as well, but I can't think of it now. Out of interest, although Regeneration and Behind the Lines are essentially the same film, Behind the lines has been badly re-edited. The western front scenes have been moved around so that they no longer relate to the narrative of the film, and one cracking scene of Sassoon getting a glancing bullet to the scalp has disappeared entirely. I only noticed because, when I bought the dvd of BTLs, I had recently watched my video of the original, and it just felt different. Ended up watching the two back to back, and was astonished at the silly changes. Why?

I've seen both versions, I think, but it's been ages so it's hard to remember. I just vaguely recall the bad editing in the American version.

I hate this incessant idea that Americans need British, etc. stuff translated. We're not that stupid, I promise. And yeah, if it's a deadly-thick Scottish accent, I might turn on some close captions, but otherwise, yes, I know what people are saying.

Editing that oddly, though, I honestly have no clue the motivation.

(I adore the movie and the trilogy -- especially the first book. Most historical fiction is deeply disappointing, or is just, say, a romance set in the time period. Regeneration lead to me to all sort of other interesting bits.)

Coincidentally I'm just reading Blunden as well and picked up on the same passage, but had already noticed others - in the film Owen describes skulls in the side of the trench like mushrooms, as does Blunden, and both comment on Marlborough's army. There was something else as well, but I can't think of it now. Out of interest, although Regeneration and Behind the Lines are essentially the same film, Behind the lines has been badly re-edited. The western front scenes have been moved around so that they no longer relate to the narrative of the film, and one cracking scene of Sassoon getting a glancing bullet to the scalp has disappeared entirely. I only noticed because, when I bought the dvd of BTLs, I had recently watched my video of the original, and it just felt different. Ended up watching the two back to back, and was astonished at the silly changes. Why?

I have recently enjoyed a nice Regeneration bonus. I enjoyed the first vol and bought the next two - the smutty ones - all in hardback and disliked them intensely. Have just sold the trio as part of a thin out of books and got a very good profit for three mint hard backs first edition with very good dust jackets.