The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Devil's Chariots

dukeofcornwall

I have just bought The Devil's Chariots after finishing the excellent Band of Brigands.

The former receives rather high praise by Richard Holmes but the latter hasn't even a review on Amazon where it is only now available from 'a.n.other booksellers'...such a shame for a brilliant book.

Can I ask has anyone read The Devil's Chariots and if so their opinions?

Thanks

Zac

Zac

It's certainly readable and, if nothing else, tells us that excessive bureaucracy as well as rivalry between different committees/working groups are not phenomena of the modern age.

Cheers

Gareth

Very readable and thoroughly enjoyable as well as a detailed and informative book.

Despite the committees and individuals involved it was still some feat to get an entirely new weapon built and in to action.

The Devil's Chariots looks very good but has yet to reach the top of my 'to read' pile. Although Amazon doesn't have the hardback of Band of Brigands in stock it is taking orders for the forthcoming paperback, which it says is due out on 1 September 2008.

I have just bought The Devil's Chariots after finishing the excellent Band of Brigands.

The former receives rather high praise by Richard Holmes but the latter hasn't even a review on Amazon where it is only now available from 'a.n.other booksellers'...such a shame for a brilliant book.

Can I ask has anyone read The Devil's Chariots and if so their opinions?

Thanks

Zac

A good book with just two minor errors that I know of. In the description of the Mk I tank in Appendix 1, Mk I and II tanks from Fosters are said to be "distinctively close-riveted to boilermakers' pitch, this being the pattern the company's boiler shop was used to." Photo evidence, some of which is in the book, shows this to be incorrect and the only boilermakers' pitch riveted tank was Mother. The description of armament for the Mk II claims that the MG armament (male and female) was the Hotchkiss. Again, photo's show that they were in fact fitted with Lewis guns.

Hi All,

Just thought I would give all the heads up on the fact that The Friends of the Lincoln Tank Group will have a lecture given by Christy Cambell on his book. Date 1st October 2008 at The Collection museum in Lincoln. I am sure better details will be posted nearer the time

Thanks

Tanks3

I have a few minor quibbles around the serial numbers given to the various types, as described in "The Devil's Chariots". Sometimes certain tanks are described as being "experimental" tanks. Actually they were simply production vehicles retained by the Ministry of Munitions for experimental purposes, which to my mind isn't quite the same thing. One of these experimental numbers is also wrong. Tank 9501 (which is shown to be a Mark V*) should read 9251 (a Mark V). The statement of Mark IV serials isn't as accurate as it might have been, but as I'm researching those I can't complain!

The best things about the book are the fact that it includes detailed references but also that sources beyond the usual suspects have been used.

I'd add that I've had the pleasure of corresponding with John Glanfield. I've found him a thoroughly pleasant and extremely knowledgeable chap.

Gwyn

I have a few minor quibbles around the serial numbers given to the various types, as described in "The Devil's Chariots". Sometimes certain tanks are described as being "experimental" tanks. Actually they were simply production vehicles retained by the Ministry of Munitions for experimental purposes, which to my mind isn't quite the same thing. One of these experimental numbers is also wrong. Tank 9501 (which is shown to be a Mark V*) should read 9251 (a Mark V). The statement of Mark IV serials isn't as accurate as it might have been, but as I'm researching those I can't complain!

The best things about the book are the fact that it includes detailed references but also that sources beyond the usual suspects have been used.

I'd add that I've had the pleasure of corresponding with John Glanfield. I've found him a thoroughly pleasant and extremely knowledgeable chap.

Gwyn

Thanks to you all. I look forward to reading it.

Zac

• 6 months later...

Currently reading it at the minute - not really my thing, i'm more into personal accounts and those that heavily use them such as Peter Hart's books, but a useful and informative book. Can certainly be boring at parts though, a great cure for insomnia, but the writer does the best he can with the subject to make it as interesting as possible, a hard task