The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Day We Won The War

Crunchy

Charles Messenger’s new book The Day We Won the War: Turning Point at Amiens 8 August 1918 (279 pp) tells the story of the Battle of Amiens, 8th to the 11th August 1918, from the perspective of all of the participants – British, French, Australian, Canadian, American and German. What I very much like about this book is its even-handed and balanced approach. It does not focus purely on the Australian and Canadian efforts, which many other histories that mention the battle tend to do. It follows the actions of all of the Allied formations involved: the British Fourth Army comprising the British III Corps (which included the US 131st Regiment), the Cavalry Corps, the Australian Corps, the Canadian Corps and the attached tank, armoured car and RAF units, and the French First Army comprising the II Cavalry Corps and IX, X and XXXI Corps. The book demonstrates what a truly multi-national and all arms battle it really was, with the contributions of the RAF, tanks, armoured cars and gunners being vividly portrayed in their support of the infantry. This book is easy to read and Charles gets the right balance between the operational and tactical level narrative together with quotes from the participants themselves that bring the battle narrative to life.

Chapter 1 provides a nice overview of the situation on the Western Front prior to the battle. The effect of manpower shortages amongst the British, French and Germans is discussed, as are some of the improvements in weaponry and techniques that had evolved by that time. It finishes with a brief narrative of the Battle of Hamel on 4th July 1918.

The next two chapters discuss the planning and preparation for the battle itself. The reasons why the battle was conceived, together with those who were involved in its conception, makes interesting reading. It is customary for many of us today to disparage the staff, but the enormous staff effort put into bringing this battle to fruition in three weeks so successfully and in complete secrecy belies our ill-directed criticisms. The details of the preparation are a stark reminder of the myriad of activities that have to be considered and fitted together before “hopping the bags” and they speak volumes for the professionalism of the British Army at all levels at this stage of the war.

The battle itself is described in the next five chapters: two on the first day’s fighting, one on the war in the air, one on the operations of the 9th August and one on those of the 10th and 11th. Here Charles does a masterful job as he weaves personal quotes into the tactical narrative and addresses the operational implications. He strikes the right balance between all three, without becoming bogged down in minute detail. This is not a tedious blow-by-blow history of the battle. This is a sound overview of one of the war’s most important battles with just the right amount of detail on the various key actions to provide a good feel for what occurred in each of the Corps and the French areas. It is presented in an easily digestible style that maintains the thread of the four-day battle and the interest of the reader. To keep such a broad canvas manageable, within each chapter Charles breaks the battle up into the actions undertaken by each of Fourth Army's Corps and the French Army.

Four of the many interesting things to emerge from these chapters are firstly, the actions of the cavalry and the armoured cars that burst ahead of the infantry before the final objective was captured on the morning of the 8th August. The surprise and havoc they caused in the German rear areas is vividly told, yet they are balanced alongside the limitations of these forces working together and against stiffening resistance. Secondly, is the RAF contribution to the battle. Squadrons were designated to undertake specific tasks in support of the ground troops, providing progress reports to the Corps and Army headquarters and bombing the German rear areas. The way in which they undertook each of these tasks, the innovative means of communication and the difficulties of early war aviation are all told in an engaging manner. Thirdly, the advanced nature of infantry/tank cooperation throughout the battle and the innovation of infantry tactics during the last few days of the battle, when artillery and tank support was not always available in the assault, comes through time and again in the narratives of tough battles against German strongpoints. The role of the tanks in assisting the infantry to overcome opposition, the improvement in their design since the early models and the high losses they sustained are amply demonstrated. What also emerges is the difficulty of exploiting such an outstanding initial success in a war where mobility was limited and communications were rudimentary but essential for coordination with artillery, tanks, air and flanking units. That the Allies were able to do so and push on beyond the Blue Line for three successive days against increasing German resistance is testimony to how far the British and French Armies had improved in their tactical innovation and flexibility by 1918.

The final chapter discusses the impact of the Battle of Amiens on the final victory and the realisation for both the Allies and the Germans that Germany could not win the war. A very brief outline of the last “100 days” is provided, not from a battle narrative perspective but from the implications of the successive Allied blows on the German Command and their attempts to salvage what they could from a negotiated peace. As Charles says, all of this derived from the success of the 8th August and the chapter concludes with an analysis of why this was so in terms of the learning curve.

There is an intriguing little postscript titled “The Man Who Won the War?” – it wasn’t Foch, Haig, Monash or Currie!

The maps are adequate and are in the front of the book and I found myself referring to them regularly in following the narrative. Being at the front of the book made them easily accessible.

There are a few minor errors and typos that can be attributed to poor editing but it is easy to recognise what Charles intended. But these are very minor issues in a book that for the first time devotes itself to the Battle of Amiens 1918 and does so with all of the participants being given due recognition in a balanced, even handed and easily read account.

I heartily recommend it for anyone wanting to know about the multi-national, all arms battle that set the Allies on the final road to victory.

Cheers

Chris

There is an intriguing little postscript titled “The Man Who Won the War?” – it wasn’t Foch, Haig, Monash or Currie!

Bill Joynt? ;)

Seriously, thanks for this Chris. I was pondering what to spend my last birthday book token on: looks like you've solved the problem.

I've just ordered this from my book club.

I've not got it to hand but there is a story in a Neath Antiquarian publication that claims some chap from Neath found some German defence plans (I think - I read it a long time back) that helped the Allies defeat the German defences?

Or was it Haig?

Or was it David Lloyd George? (on an ill advised trip to Nazi Germany DLG was presented with a signed snap of Hitler which was endorsed 'to the man who won the war'!) or similar.

Bernard

I've not got it to hand but there is a story in a Neath Antiquarian publication that claims some chap from Neath found some German defence plans (I think - I read it a long time back) that helped the Allies defeat the German defences?

Bernard

You are definitely on the right track.

Charles M

Chris - thanks for providing an intriguing Review. I am one chapter in but failed not to read the postscript when flicking through ... I blame the sub-heading!

As well as the manpower shortages in Chapter 1 I was also interested in the morale issues that Charles raised.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Ha ha! Well, well - have you seen the story, Charles, as told by Neath Antiquarians? I have it as a chapter in a book. My 'study' (OK, its a small bedroom) is being refitted - I only put the shelf struts up last night and will hopefully shelve it abd bring all the books back in this weekend.

If you want me to dig it out let me know Charles. Good luck with the book - looking forward to it!

Bernard

Bernard

Many thanks for the offer. Yes, I would be most interested to see the article. Would you like me to PM you my e-mail/snail mail address.

I have since managed to track down the son of the individual concerned (I won't give his name away at the moment) and he proved most helpful for a piece that I wrote for this month's BBC Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. I can send you a copy of this if you PM me your address.

Meanwhile I do hope you enjoy the book, although sadly none of your pet battalions were involved.

Charles M

PM sent.

Bernard