The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 20 Years After

Terry Carter

I saw three books today in a Charity Book Shop. 'The WW1 Battelfields 20 Years After' or something similar. They were in very good condition. The shop was asking £75 for them. Was that a good deal?

Terry

If this is the set.

Twenty Years After-The Battle Fields of 1914-18:Then and Now.

Edited by Maj.Gen. Sir Ernest Swinton K.B.E, C.B.

That would be the dealers price or perhaps more if in particularly good condition. Have a good browse.A good set for an archive.I had to replace a damaged family set a few years ago.I dont think that I would have bought them had it not been for that fact and that I used to spend hours studying them in the 1950s. If wanted my set will be donated to a museum at some time in the future.They take up a lot of room.

Perhaps less will be accepted in which case the final decision will be yours.Some really nice photographs for that era.That is more the purpose of the set than the text which is still generally sound but lacking in depth of detail.

George.

'Twenty Years After-The Battle Fields of 1914-18:Then and Now'

Yes, that is what the books were called. I will not be buying them. If anyone on the Forum is interested they are in the Oxfam Book Shop in Knowle, near Solihull.

Terry

They are a nice set to have; very redolent of their period and less common that one or two of the other partwork sets of that era. I wouls suggest that £75 is on the expensive side for a set unless, perhaps, thay are absolutely immaculate. As Peter B says, though, you may want to consider that the money is going to charity.