The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

For Love and Courage - Anne Nason

tommy mcclimonds

"For Love and Courage - The Letters of Lieutenant Colonel E W Hermon from the Western Front 1914 1917" - Edited by Anne Nason. I spotted this new book in Waterstones this afternoon. I had a quick flick and the book is a well produced hardback of 365 pages with a smaller and very effective looking wrap-around dust jacket depicting what appears to be a copy of an original envelope posted at a field post office. The book is the collection of transcribed letters to his wife and all come from the personal collection of the editor Anne Nason, who is also the granddaughter of Lieutenant Colonel E W Hermon. This book will be certainly interest those who are researching or have any interest in the 24th and 27th Battalions Northumberland Fusliers - The Tyneside Irish, as he was CO of both battalions.

This seems to be one of many similiar publications in thi genre seeing the light of day for the first time and it will be interesting to see what the experts on the Northumberland Fusiliers think of the value of the publication offered.

Regards, Tommy.

PS: It is priced at £20.00.

thanks for bringing that book to my attention. I live at the other side of the world so would never have known about it otherwise. my own gt-grandather was with the 24th NF and was killed on the same day in the same battle as Hermon.

Do forum members know of any other published or online letters/diaries from the Tyneside Irish?

regards,

Michael

Michael

Nice to be able to help a forum member on the other side of the world. It is so very easy to miss a book that you would be interested in reading/purchasing. I missed a number of Great War books the first time round, published locally over the years in Ireland, most within the last number of years as interest in the South grew, only picking them up later the second time around.

Regards, Tommy.

• 3 weeks later...

Marvellous collection of letters. I liked the entry where he writes home to say that in another life he would choose to come back as an officer's servant, his own (Buckin) then chatting-up a village lady in the next room as he wrote.

I enjoyed this book , I think reading the letters to his wife and how much he loved his wife and children, its so heartbreaking knowing that he's going to be killed. Its like watching a film knowing the hero is going to be bumped off!

Highly recommended.

Ian.