The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Bn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Ken Lees

I am trying to piece together some information for a colleague who is making his first trip to France and wants to visit the area where his relative fell.

His relative is 53771 L/Cpl Richard Birchall, 1st Bn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers and he was killed in action on 14th May 1917.

I note from the main site that 1st RWF as part of the 7th Division, were in action at Bullecourt at that time.

Can anyone give me any further information that I can put together for the actions leading up to that day?

I have Jonathon Walker's book 'The Blood Tub', so I will try to summarise the relevant parts for my colleague.

I have downloaded Birchall's MIC and it gives his previous RWF number as 4335. Can I gain any further information from the two numbers?

SDITGW states that Birchall formerly served as 15/36690, King's Liverpool Regt., but there is no mention of this on his MIC. Is this common?

I have not seen a 15/*** number for the King's before - can anyone shed any light on it?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Ken,

15 Liverpools were a Reserve unit.

He must have left this before moving to France. MICs do not mention units before the medal entitlement began.

I have downloaded Birchall's MIC and it gives his previous RWF number as 4335. Can I gain any further information from the two numbers?

Puzzled I am.

The 4335 number is: unlikely to be a pre-war regular, is very likely a special reservist, and very likely a TF man.

But I cannot, offhand, see why or how his number should change to 53771 which is typically a mid-1916 recruit.

Any ideas out there?

Attached is a map of Bullecourt itself, though the battle covered a wider area. The map is from April 1917. The Battleground Europe series on Bullecourt (ISBN 0850526523) might be of interest for the visit. The 'Blood Tub' gives a lot of detail though the focus is on the Australian effort as I recall, as intended by the author.