The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Roll Call: The Delville Wood Story

Robert Dunlop

• 3 years later...

I would appreciate a copy of the roll call entry as kindly offered for :

Pte Laurence Wallace Breakey, #1568 !st Regt. SA Infantry KIA 18 July 1916 at Delville Wood

Sincerely, Lucille S Breakey, Gand-niece of Lawrie

• 3 years later...

I was wondering if anyone could help me find the name of my grandfather, Alfred Newnham Turner, on the Roll Call of the survivors. I have the following information about my grandfather:-

Alfred Newnham Turner 1885-1965 . He emigrated to South Africa, in 1912 and in 1915 enlisted in the 3rd South African Infantry Regiment at Potchefstroom, about 50 miles south-west of Johannesburg. He was a bank teller when he joined the army, possibly with Barclays Bank. The Regiment, under the command of Lt-Colonel William Tanner, was one of four regiments that together made up the first South African Infantry Brigade. The Brigade was involved in the Battle of the Somme and, in particular, in the battle for Delville Wood. Over the four days starting on 16 July 1916 the Regiment struggled to take the wood, subject to both intense German rifle, machine gun and artillery fire, and to mis-aimed British artillery firing. They ran out of food, water and ammunition for want of effective relief. Alfred was one of the 780 men who were present at the roll-call after the Brigade's relief - out of 3,153 who had entered the wood.

. He caught influenza on the Somme in January 1918 and was in hospital in France for just under two months. He returned to England on 14 March and was invalided out of the service at Bordon in East Hampshire, near Aldershot, in May 1918. For his continuing debility he was awarded a pension of 5s 6d for 48 weeks from October 1918.

Many thanks

Janet

• 4 months later...

Can someone tell me how to properly pronounce Mr. Uys' name? Does it rhyme with "ice," or is the "uy" pronounced as "oo-ee," like "Oo-ees?"

I'm working on my next podcast episode on Delville Wood and will need to reference his book. Thanks in advance!