The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Michele Barrett - "Casualty Figures

alex falbo

Just purchased this book and found it to be an interesting read on the social implications of shell shock. The stories or perspectives include:

Lt. John Willis Brown - Royal Naval Division Engineers, RFA

Capt. Douglas Darling, MC - 2nd Machine Gun Coy, CEF

Bombardier Ronald Skirth - Royal Garrison Artillery

Air Vice Marshal Sir William Tyrrell, KBE, DSO and bar, MC, MB, BCh, DPM

(An authority on shell shock and war neurosis)

Capt. Lawrence Gameson, Croix de Guerre - RAMC

All these men survived the War as the book examines their experiences and the post war consequences.

If anyone has read this, your thoughts please?

• 7 months later...

Excllent account of the aftermath of warfare. Whilst it is right to remember those killed in action we should also acknowledge that many of those who survived the horrors, suffered the memories of the war. The accounts resonante with the awful smell of death.

• 2 months later...

Just finished this book which covers an area of personal interest. Thought there were plenty of excellent illustrations of the subject in the quotes of the 5 men and members of their families, well placed in the context of events. It is presented in a very accessible way - I read it in a couple of sessions. The focus on the individuals is good but I would have found it useful to be accompanied by a more indepth look at methods of treating of cases within the system and how they failed the majority. However, as these are studies of personal anecodotes and papers which survive, the book provides a valuable insight to the feelings of those who took part in the war and its impact on their lives. Being hyper critical there were points at which I felt Michele Barrrett had stretched some of the evidence a little but still her book is a refreshing glimpse at experiences of real people expressed largely in their own words. Being able to compare the reactions of 5 different individuals was very effective in a way, perhaps, that reading an autobiography or memoir is less so. I liked the differentiation between contemporary and reflective writing. I read Leese's Shell shock not so long ago and come away from Casualty figures feeling as though the two were complimentary.

This review may not come across as wholehearted approval but I do highly recommend the book to anyone who wants get beyond the science and statistics and to understand how men coped or didn't emotionally.

Jan