The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The White War by Mark Thompson

KF Kelly

I noticed it today in Waterstones when buying Band of Brigands. Currently only in hardback at IIRC £20. Give it 6 months and the paperback will be out. It plays up it's credentials as the only work in English about the Great War in Italy.

I will be adding this to my list of things to pick up on my next UK visit. There is certainly very little in English on the Italian front so from that point of view he has a virtually clean slate to work with. I hope the book does it justice!

Swizz

It plays up it's credentials as the only work in English about the Great War in Italy.

Well, there's a factual inexactitude for you - what about The British Army in Italy, 1917-18 by Wilks and Wilks? Unless they're stretching points (as blurb regularly does) to 'books in print'.

Nothing in English? Isonzo by John Shindler, 2001, quite good but badly mapped, BE series Asiago and Touring the Italian Front, Frances McKay and Sardinian Brigadeis terrific and translated though fiction it's by a participant and on the money.

Hey, I'm only the ivory-tinkler, don't shoot me!

You might have also added 1/3 of Martin M. Evans "Forgotten Battlefields of the First World War".

I seem to recall one of our members asking questions about a particular battlefield in WW1 Italy. Perhaps a reference?

Accounts in English?

"Isonzo" immediately sprang to mind, but Paul mentioned that one; so let's not forget (albeit limited to 1917-1918)...

"The Forgotten Front: The British Campaign in Italy 1917-18" by George Cassar

(Available at Amazon in hardback for $96 - a little out of my budget :( )

It has certainly attracted some excellent reviews.

Charles M

and here's another

quotes: carefully researched and a pleasure to read

&

A good descriptive writer, Thompson also displays an excellent analytical understanding of how the multi-national character of the Austro-Hungarian forces affected the Habsburg war effort.

see http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c5027088-86ac-11...?nclick_check=1

I have just started to read it and it is certainly living up to its reviews - very lucid and fascinating reading.

Charles M

I would love to know if any Orfanellis are mentioned in it - my mother's 5 uncles fought and all returned safely to Alexandria, Egypt! It has been difficult researching this branch of the family and WW!.

Cheers

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Got it, by chance, from our local library. I went in to order A Serious Disappointment, and found this on the shelf, so I started reading it last weekend. Certainly very good so far; the political background to the Italian decision to declare war is fascinating.

So far the only reservation I have is on the maps. They're not brilliant (and the library service have stuck the cover flaps over the end paper maps), so following the action is a bit difficult.

That said, it's certainly looking good, and not a difficult book to read.

Well, given the name of the author it has to be one to add to my book list. Sadly, I cannot claim to be the author - I hope that he isn't the DG of the BBC!

Marc

An interesting read.

For Forum members in the Wolverhampton area, there's a copy in the library.

• 3 weeks later...

An excellent book on a very neglected part of the war.

I was fascinated and appalled by the sufferings the men of both sides underwent; appalled indeed by the political machinations of the Italian politicians who fomented war; and utterly disbelieving at the inept management of the war by Cadorna and his generals.

The conditions under which the war was fought, and the fortitude displayed by the men of both sides is unbelievable. The Austro-Hungarians - a polyglot army defending to the end an Empire which was collapsing, despite being in rags and starving at the end - deserve immense credit.

Above all, some of the sidelights of the book are revealing. For example, of 600,000+ Italian prisoners taken by the Austro-Hungarians, over 100,000 died (550 of them officers). Why? Because the Italian authorities refused to send food parcels, because that would encourage their men to surrender too easily. As the Central Powers could not feed prisoners due to the Blockade 9and had informed the Allies of this), the Italians effectively wrote 100,000 death warrants. They didn't relent until mid-1918, when hard tack was sent - arriving after the Armistice!

The political background the the Peace is also outlined - Orlando's poor showing at the Peace Conference, in particular.

A book to read - definitely should be on everyone's reading list.