The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dictionary of Tommies' Songs and Slang 1914 - 18

John Gilinsky

Just thought I would let forum members know of the following 2008 reprint,viz.:

Brophy, John and Partridge, Eric

"The Daily Telegraph Dictionary of Tommies' Songs and Slang, 1914-18. Introduction by Malcom Brown."

Barnsley, S. Yorkshire: Frontline Books, (Imprint of Pen and Sword Books Limited) 2008

xviii, pages 9 - 238

ISBN: 978 - 1 - 84115 - 710 - 5

PRICE in UK (net) 19.99 pounds

John

Toronto CANADA

A fascinating little book I bought my paperback edition on holiday in the 70s @ West Wittering!!!

A fascinating little book I bought my paperback edition on holiday in the 70s @ West Wittering!!!

It is a splendid little book, but I'm glad I don't have to spend £20 on it – my Sphere p/b edition dates from 1969 and cost 5 bob (25p).

This the book published as "The Long Trail and the third version of Songs and Slang of the British Army 1914-18. initially produced in 1931. Both authors served as infantrymen in WW1

Eric Partridge was a lexicographer of note. I have somewhere his dictionary of Shakespeare's Bawdy. I purchased it many years ago for purely academic purposes.

Keith

It is a splendid little book, but I'm glad I don't have to spend £20 on it – my Sphere p/b edition dates from 1969 and cost 5 bob (25p).

80C in Australia,75C in NZ, a mere 60C in South Africa and 6/00 (whatever that was) in East Africa. I shudder to think what it would cost in Zimbabwe today

80C in Australia,75C in NZ, a mere 60C in South Africa and 6/00 (whatever that was) in East Africa.

Presumably 6 Kenyan shillings. You obviously have the same edition as me.

The edition I speak of that is of 2008 is hardbound with some apparently additional black and white illustrations thrown in by presumably the publisher with a dust jacket and an interesting introduction by Michael Brown who has done some books for the IWM.

John

Toronto

I got my almost half price (Canadian that is!)

John Brophy served in the ranks of a Service battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment and apparently enlisted under-age. He wrote several novels based on his experiences but to my knowledge no memoirs.

S