The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cnd 2nd division 6th brigade C.F.A. 25th battery

Guest mane

I am researching the 25th Batttery C.F.A. 6th brigade of the 2nd division C.E.F for a freind of mine , who's grandfather was in this unit. He would like to know about the battles this unit was in and where they trained in Canada and when they whent overseas and any interesting stories and details. Apparently he was in charge of feeding the horses. Did the horses pull heavy guns to the front lines?

Thanks, Mark

Here's a link to start you off.

The 28th Bn. were a part of the 6th Brigade and the website may help you a little with the history.

http://www.nwbattalion.com/28thbattalion.html

Hi Mark:

Welcome to the forum.

The 25th Battery was recruited in Ottawa (and district) and Lethbridge, their mobilization area was Ottawa and they were allotted serial numbers 89001 to 89600. At the end of the war, the 25th Battery consisted of 194 men, 165 horses and six 18-pound guns.

The horses were used to transport the 18-pound guns, ammunition and equipment.

You can read the war diaries of the 6th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery at the following links:

September 1915 to July 1917 here.

August 1917 to July 1918 here.

October 1918 to February 1919 here.

Garth

• 2 months later...

Mark

As a personal contribution, my Grandfather, Gnr. Fred Milthorp served with the 25th Battery from 11 August 1917 to 31st October when he was wounded and invalided back to "Blighty". Coincidently, he also worked with the horses in packing ammunition up to the guns from the Ammunition Depot. On 2 November, he writes to my Grandmother:

My Dearest

It is such a shame to keep you waiting so long for a letter, we were on the move for four days with never a chance to write a single line. Then when we arrived at the new front it was WORK with a vengeance. Oh say it was awful up there. I didn't have a decent sleep for four days, we were packing ammunition on horse-back all the time. It is impossible to take a waggon up the line. On Wed. night I got a little too close to a bomb from an aeroplane & a piece hit me in the back. It is nothing to worry about Dearest, more of a bruise than anything, the piece did not go right in, I guess I will be alright in a few days. I am fixed up lovely here, it is such a treat to get away from the line for a while.

Luckily, after serving in France since 1915, he remained in England for the duration of the war.

Cheers

Brian