The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Location of Hill Top Trenches Ypres

alangiles

My grandfather was wounded whilst serving with 6 Cheshires (39 Division/118 Brigade) on 5 July 1917. From the Cheshires' war diaries it appears that they were in the Hill Top Trenches (Right sub-sector) at that time and on the evening 5 July they raided the German Caliban Trenches. 6 OR were wounded during the raid and 19 on their return during the retaliatory German barrage on their trenches that followed. I assume my grandfather was one of these. I will be visiting Ypres shortly and I wonder if anyone has more information on the exact (map) location of the Hill Top Trenches.

Nala

Hill Top Farm and Caliban Trenches are in Grid Squares C21 and C22 Map Sheet 28NW2 St Julien.

Hill Top Far Location 50 deg 52.546 minutes North 2 deg 54.208 minutes East. Caliban Trench runs between 50 deg 52.709 minutes North to 50 deg 52.635 minutes North 2 deg 55.142 minutes East. See attached Map.

John

post-1365-1221424220.jpg

John,

That is fantastic information. I couldn't be more exact!

Thanks

Alan

My grandfather was wounded whilst serving with 6 Cheshires (39 Division/118 Brigade) on 5 July 1917. From the Cheshires' war diaries it appears that they were in the Hill Top Trenches (Right sub-sector) at that time and on the evening 5 July they raided the German Caliban Trenches. 6 OR were wounded during the raid and 19 on their return during the retaliatory German barrage on their trenches that followed. I assume my grandfather was one of these. I will be visiting Ypres shortly and I wonder if anyone has more information on the exact (map) location of the Hill Top Trenches.

A good generic map of this area is Map 1 of Nicholson. 1915 at the Ypres Gas Attack but all the places are the same, plus it may lead you to some other interesting features:

http://cefresearch.com/matrix/Nicholson/Maps/Map%201.jpg

• 10 years later...

Hi - I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but my grandfather Capt Jack Lee commanded that raid and won the MC for it. He was killed three weeks later on the first day of Passchendaele.