The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

History and Traditions of Remembrance

Audax

I'm looking a drawing up a reading list on the topic of the way Remembrance of War Dead has developed in the UK. Obviously the Great War 1914 - 18 played was the key time for the development of commemoration of the dead.

Can pals add to this list please?

The Silence of Memory by Adrian Gregory

Fallen Soldiers - reshaping the Memory of the World Wars by George L Mosse

Sites of Mourning, Sites of Memory by Jay Winter.

War and Remembrance in the Twentieth Century

Great War in Myth and Memory

Remembering War

Commemoration: The Politics of National Identity

Commemorating War - The Politics of Myth and Memory

At the Going down of the Sun; British First World War Memorials

Memorials of the Great War in Britain; The Symbolism and Politics of Remembrance by Alex King

Thanks to all in advance

^_^

There's a book on the development of Battefield tourism - can't remember the author - I'll root out the reference when I'm back in the office next week

A Century of Remembrance by Derek Boorman.

A study of 100 outstanding British war memorials which commemorate 20th Century conflicts from the Boer War to the Falklands and Gulf Wars, although the majority, of course, concern the Great War. Many interesting forms of memorial are included, and those chosen are illustrated by excellent black-and-white photographs.

The Unending Vigil-The History of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

by Philip Longworth

Along similar lines, at least.

Yours &c.,

Tim

Thanks to all who have posted so far. Particularly Aled (Carmania) as I have not come across this author before.

A

n.b.

Also interested in part played by the padres in the shaping of remembrance. ie Padre David Railton, Padre Thomas Nangle (Newfoundland) Padre E C Crosse (The Devonshire Trench) and Padre Tubby Clayton (founder of the Toc H movement)

Also interested in part played by the padres in the shaping of remembrance. ie Padre David Railton, Padre Thomas Nangle (Newfoundland) Padre E C Crosse (The Devonshire Trench) and Padre Tubby Clayton (founder of the Toc H movement)

For Thomas Nangle there was a book produced by a local publisher recently entitled "Soldier Priest: In the Killing Fields of Europe" by Gary Browne and Darrin McGrath. Its an alright book and discusses his heavy involvment in the raising of the Caribou monument at Beaumont Hamel. Apart from being the only writing dealing specifically with the man that I'm aware of, its a nice book in that it uses archival sources on the man that have seldom or never been reproduced.

Also for the Newfoundland context on the rememberance of war dead look at Robert J. Harding's "Glorious Tragedy: Newfoundland's Cultural Memory of the Attack at Beaumont Hamel 1916-1925." in the Journal of Newfoundland and Labrador Studies 21(1) (2006) pp. 3-40.