The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for title and author.

Waddell

Just needing some help finding a title, author and publisher for a book I saw new in Melbourne about eighteen months ago.

The book was very large and was concerned with British uniforms of the First world war. It contained many full page colour photographs of actors/re-enactors in different styles of uniforms. I Have a feeling it may have been printed in Europe.

There were two other editions there. One concerning French uniforms and the other American uniforms.

They were top quality. About $120.00 Australian.

Any ideas? I can't find them anywhere.

Scott

I work in a Bookshop so i'll see if i can find out anything for you. Not all books published abroad are published here. It depends on if they have any U.K rights. It's a bit difficult without a title or Author.

Anyway there have been cases when books have been tracked down without.

Let you know.

Susan.

Thanks Susan.

Wish I had noted down the title. I have checked amazon and others. No luck.

They were bigger than the Europa Militaria series books. I thought some of the re-enactors might know the book.

Regards,

Scott.

Sounds like it could possibly be one of the titles published by Schiffer publishing company here in the states. They do large-sized, color tomes which frequently employ allegedly period uniforms and equipment being worn. They do, in fact, have a volume dealing with British uniforms and equipment in the First World War but I think it's primarily illustrated with period photographs. I believe that their website is www.schifferbooks.com.

All the best,

Dave

Thanks Dave but that's not the one.

This one had colour photo's on the front and rear covers and all the photo's inside were of models or re-enactors dressed in the uniforms.

i'll keep looking.

Thanks,

Scott

Hello Scott

could this be the one? I know the cover images are not in colour but the price would be about right and there are others in the series that cover French, German, Austro-Hungarian etc.

http://www.worldwartwobooks.com/product.ph...y-in-world-war-

There's also this one which is solely American

http://www.worldwartwobooks.com/product.ph...-in-world-war-i

Cheers

Ian

Hi Scott.

I have had a look at all my contacts but i can only find two that came within your description. Firstly "British Army Uniforms

1908-1919 in colour. By Peter Harrington .Published by Schiffer. ISBN 9780764313028 £39.95.

Secondly " Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army, World War 1" A study period in photographs By Stephen Chambers. ISBN 9780764321542 £55.00 If neither of these is the right one and you REALLY want this book, then i would go on the internet and find a bookshop in Melbourne. I would contact them to see they can trace it. If they can then you could ask in return of payment including p&p for them to send it to you. Depends how desperate you are.

Susan.

Thanks Susan,

I've found and contacted the bookshop. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for your help.

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

Belated thanks to all.

Definitely the Schiffer book. I was confusing the cover of the AEF book with the British uniforms book.

Regards,

Scott.