The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Because you Died

susan kitchen

A book of complete new Poems essay's etc along with 40 photo's. It's a commemorative edition to mark the 90th anniversary of the end of the War. A lovely book.

Susan

From the publisher's webpage for the book -

"This collection of Vera Brittain’s poetry and prose, some of it never published before, commemorates the men she loved - fiancé, brother and two close friends - who served and died in the First World War. It draws on her experiences as a VAD nurse in London, Malta, and France, and illustrates her growing conviction of the wickedness of all war.

Illustrated with many extraordinary photographs from Brittain’s own albums, and edited with a new introduction by Mark Bostridge, Because You Died is an elegy to men who lost their lives in a bloody conflict, and a volume of remembrance to mark the ninetieth anniversary of the Armistice."

Alan

Susan,

Is the "you" Roland Leighton, or is it meant more generically?

With best wishes,

David

The book hasn't come in yet to the bookshop where i work. So i haven't been able to look through it. However nowhere in all the blurb i have read about this book is there mention of Roland. So i believe it's in honour for all men, boy's etc who died for us.

Susan

"This collection of Vera Brittain’s poetry and prose, some of it never published before..."

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the collection is the "never published before" material, as there is already a great deal of Brittain's work out there. I wonder if the intro/preface/prologue might say.

With best wishes,

David