The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS Vivid

rafsparks

Hello All, I am researching the death of a reletive of mine, Edward Davies. He was a Cook's Mate on HMS Vivid and died whilst serving on board this vessel on the 20 November 1917. Other than the CWGC website listing his death I cannot find any more information about this vessel or the circumstances of his death. I understand the vessel was in Devonport at this time. Does anyone know if death certificates were issued for deaths on board ships during WWI and where I might find information about his death? Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Did you see this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vivid

Peter

Hi Peter,, Thanks for the 'Very' quick reply. Having looked at your link, am I to understand that the ship Edward Davies was on was in fact HMS Cuckoo 1912-1920? Dave

Dave

You need to get this chaps ADM188 record of service. Available to download from the National Archive website for £3.50 or 20p to print if you visit.

This might give some clues. As the link posted shows. HMS Vivid is the name given the naval barracks at Devonport at this time. He might therefore have been serving at the Barracks at the time of his death. Case of death might be on his death certificate. There are GRO indexs for these. I have them at home but am away from them at the moment. pm me as a reminder I will have a look and give you the reference.

However your man might well have been serving aboard a vessel to small to carry a pay staff. In this case he was just being administered by the pay office at Vivid and was not actually there at the time of his death. It is very difficult to establish where a chap was when this happens.

Finally it is very unlikely that your man actually served about the small vessel that was the nominal name vessel for the barracks. Apart from anything else really small stuff would not have had cooks aboard.

Hope this helps

Peter

Welcome to the forum Dave

A listing for Vivid also includes the Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse.

The online link for ADM 188 is here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Name Davies, Edmond Tom Gore

Official Number: M23972

Place of Birth: Barry, Glamorgan

Date of Birth: 04 July 1890

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Welcome to the forum Dave

A listing for Vivid also includes the Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse.

The online link for ADM 188 is here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Name Davies, Edmond Tom Gore

Official Number: M23972

Place of Birth: Barry, Glamorgan

Date of Birth: 04 July 1890

Hello, Many thanks for the information on the ADM 188. I have just downloaded the record and now have the information I was after. Edmund Tom Gore Davies died at the Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse of Mastoiditis. The record also shows that he was a Cook's Mate at HMS Vivid I from 17 Nov 1916 to his death on 20 Nov 1917. From this information I gather that Vivid I was a shore base at Devonport and not a ship. Regards Dave.

• 3 years later...
Guest RhianEvans

DaveS!

If Edmond Tom Gore Davies is indeed the relative you are looking for, then I'd love to hear from you as I have his WWI Next of Kin Memorial Bronze Plaque, inherited from my Grandmother. I would like to know anything you have found out about him, I live in Australia and it is a bit more difficult for m to get hold of English records.

PM me here, or you can email me on rhianmevans@hotmail.com =)

Thanks!

Hi Rhian

Welcome to the Forum.

Just in case of disappointment I think you should know that DaveS has not been on the Forum since that enquiry in 2008. Hopefully he will still have the same email address and may get a notification of your post. If you don't hear anything in a few days you may have to try and track him down by other means. Click on his name and you'll see that he had a recent website. You may very well find him going down that route.

Hywyn

Guest RhianEvans

Thanks Hywyn,

I did notice that he hasn't been here since 2008, but thought I'd reply anyways =)

I checked out that website and it took me to an old domain, so dead end there as well. I'll keep trying though.

Thanks,

Rhian

=)