The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment

swift1914

Does anyone out there know exactly where the 1st Devon's were on the Somme, 26th September 1916?

I am interested in Private Albert James Dare who was KIA on that day. I think they might have been somewhere near Albert. Also I believe the KIA rate was horrendous. Can anyone elaborate?

The British Official History has the 1st Devons involved in the Battle of Morval on the 25th September. Presumably, they were still in the area on the 26th but someone will have this detail. Attached is a map illustrating the strongpoint that I think (subject to confirmation) the 1st Devons helped capture (marked with the blue arrow). The map is a composite of the Longueval and Combles maps; it gives you a rough idea of the area:

post-2-1078355977.jpg

25th Sept 1916 - In attack on Morval - over 40% casualties* during assault on Bovril and Mince Trenches. Large supplies of German bombs captured and used up against enemy. Regimental history records that the bayonet was put to good use throughout operation. No counter-attacks were attempted.

26th Sept 1916 - To Oxford Copse

27th Sept 1916 - To Citadel Camp

* 140 casualties, four officers and 29 men killed or missing, four officers and 109 men wounded.

Marc

Thanks Guy's for your help - it is much appreciated.

The map especially is an added bonus and will be of great use.

As to Private Albert Dare - he is one of over five hundred casualties buried in Bray-sur-Somme Military Cemetery.

Regards-Swift1914