The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Russian troops in France and Salonika

edwin astill

Whilst at the Liddle Collection this morning, went for a snoop whilst awaiting material. Some ladies were sorting out a lot of books in Russian. I noticed a fat volume entitled "Le Corps Expeditionnaire Russe en France et a Salonique 1916-1918. " Published YMCA Press Paris 2003 ISBN 2-85065-260-1. Crammed with some lovely photos (hundreds of 'em) of Russian troops. Only had time to leaf through, but thought it might interest those of you who are interested in the Russians. I'd imagine it is expensive to buy. Text is is Russian and French. Anyone had a good look and can comment?

Edwin

Hello Edwin,

I have a copy of the book myself, it is excellent. If I remember rightly it was not that expensive.

For a history of the Russian Expeditionary Force in France in English there is Jamie Cockfield's 'With snow on their boots'. He also did an article (I forget the name of the journal) on the Russian Legion which was formed from the REF after the Revolution.

Ally

For a history of the Russian Expeditionary Force in France in English there is Jamie Cockfield's 'With snow on their boots'.

I read this quite recently and can thoroughly recommend it.

cheers Martin B

Thanks. I'll try Cockfield's book. And look out for the other.

Edwin