The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

45502 PTE C W Moxon

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I have only been with the forum a short time and have had a lot of help in starting my research on the Great War dead of the town i live in, Many thanks to all that have helped me so far. I have just managed to buy my first medal which i believe to be a Victory Medal. I've checked CWGC site to see if the person that its named to is mentioned, but he is not their. From that i gather that he must of survived the war. My question is, how do i go about researching someone that survived the war? His details are;-

45502 Private C.W. Moxon Rifle Brigade.

I'd be glad of any help on this one, my thanks to all.

Regards

Mike

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Lee,

Yes i've been through the long long trail. I guess my next step is the PRO and have a look at the Burnt Series. Hopefully the records for this guy survived. If they haven't, any ideas where i go from there?

Thanks for your answer

Regards

Mike

Guest Hill 60

Mike - I'm at a loss really mate. Although I've been interested in WWI for a number of years I have only recently started to research the men, so I'm very much of a novice!

Try speaking with Chris and see what he can recommend.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for you efforts on this, like you i'm new to this as well so i'll just try to find out what i can as and when i can. Its certainly much easier if they were killed, but i'm glad this guy wasn't, and its a pity that anyone had to die. Anyway again many thanks Lee, anything that i can help you with just let me know.

Regards

Mike

Guest Hill 60

Mike - Glad to help. I'm sure one of the other Pals will be able to tell you where to go next (in the nicest possible way, of course :D) in your quest.

My other passion is the London Fire Brigade, and it only costs me a few quid to get the service papers of any Fireman from the Victorian period right up to the late 1980's.....how I wish Army records were that easy to get :lol:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Best procedure is:

PRO

1. Medal Index Card - he may have served with another unit overseas after the Rifle Brigade.

2. Medal Roll - will tell you the Battalions he served with.

3. WO 363/WO 364 (Service Records) if pensioned PIN 26 - Personal details.

4. WO 95 (War Diary) - You will gert some idea of what he lived through plus you never know he may be mentioned, but for an OR this is not usual.

Local History Centre to near where he lived

1. Absent Voters List

2. Newspapers of the period - if he was wounded it may be mentioned and you may get a picture.

Other Sources

1. History of the Rifle Brigade

2. The Jervis Collection

Enough.

Ian

Guest gen_wizard

Ian,

Many thanks for those ideas of resorces, i'll be up the local library first thing tuesday morning to check the local papers. The resources that you have listed will help me further with other men that i am researching. Now i feel as if i'm going to get somewhere especially with the local men of my area. Trouble with private Moxon is i don't think that he was a local man, so i'll have to put his research on the back burner for now until i can get to the PRO or some kind Pal will have a look for me. Anyway again thanks for your help

Regards

Mike

Guest Hill 60

Mike - I knew someone would point you in the right direction. Ian is like a sniper - you don't see him until...BANG...there's his posting :D