The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2689285 Pte. Alfred Leyland, !0th Hussars

Martin B

I am now in my seventh year of trying to discover the fate of the above named soldier and have come up against a brick wall.

Leyland took his own life at Hare Park Camp, Curragh on 26th July 1921. He had originally joined the army at Liverpool (into the Scots Guards) in July 1920. His next of kin was his father, Mr E Leyland of Hallfield Street, St Helens, Lancashire and he had a brother, 537661 L/Sgt J Leyland, then serving with the 18th Hussars.

Does anyone out there have any details of this mans service, his place of burial (he's not in the Curragh Camp Military Cemetery) or of Field General Courts Martials and Military Courts of Enquiry held at the Curragh around this date ? The relevent PRO files are either closed or have been conspicuously 'weeded'.

Of all the men from the 10th who lost their lives between 1914 and 1922 Pte Leyland is the only one I am unable to account for.

Here's hoping one of you with a better knowledge of the Curragh or with links to the St Helens area will hold the key.

Any help at all would be very welcome.

Many thanks in advance,

Martin