The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bedford Regiments

jaypet01

I know this is not WW1 but can anybody supply information on the Bedfordshire Regiments prior to WW1. I had a great grandfather who serving in the Regiment in America at the time of the civil war.

Guest Hill 60

The Beds and Herts Regiment Museum at Wardown Park in Luton will probably be able to assist you.

Also, try this e-mail address: Archive@bedscc.gov.uk and address your question to Nigel Lutt.

Nigel is part of the Bedfordshire County Council Archive team and is amazingly helpful. I recently asked him if he knew where there was a copy of the 2nd Bedfords' WWI war diary, he said he had a copy in the archive and he'll photocopy any part (for a small fee) for me or I can come in to his office and check it as many times as I want.

I know this is not WW1 but can anybody supply information on the Bedfordshire Regiments prior to WW1. I had a great grandfather who serving in the Regiment in America at the time of the civil war.

Which Civil War - the American? There were no British troops there at this time; British troops had not been in North American since the War of Independance.

Soldiers records for pre-1914 are contained in class WO97 at the PRO/NA in London. For some periods you can search to see if a record is there or not. But there are none on-line.

There were no British troops there at this time; British troops had not been in North American since the War of Independance.

except for 1812 - 1815 (United States) and longer in Canada....

Hi.

Please give further details. I have quite a bit on the Bedfords as they are my main area of interest. They never served in America as the Bedfordshire Rgt but did serve as the 16th Rgt of Foot and before.

1767-1781 NY, West Florida, Baton Rouge and Pensacola.

1814-1815 Canada & N America.

1861-1870 Canada (Montreal) and N America.

They were named Bedfordshire Rgt in 1881 and served in SA and during the Gt War with this name.

As Lee states Nigel may be able to help, he looks after the Military Records at the Bedfordshire Record Office (among other things). He is also an avid collector of Bedfordshire Rgt WW1 medals. Just for info, all the records from the Beds and Herts Museum are now held at the Bedfordshire Record Office.

Cheers.