The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BATTLEFIELDS OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR

steve140968

Are any of the images from two previous volumes re-printed in this latest issue, or are they all new?

I take it this dvd can be played through a television?

TIA

David

Hi David,

When you refer to the two previous volumes I guess you are referring to Somme and Passchendaele? There are obviously some images duplicated within these chapters within Battlefields. However, there is much stuff that is in neither of these companion volumes. This is a new edition of the 2005 volume and as per my Post #4, has 16 new double page spreads, four of which are new maps for Arras and the rest are DPS of new panoramas. Also I’d guess at another dozen pictures to the 1st edition.

I do not believe the new DVD (with 102 new panoramas) is compatible on your TV.

All best,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

I've now bought the new book from Amazon.

RRP £50 for £30 and Free Delivery looks a bargain.

best regards

David

I have a copy of this book and DVD, an early xmas pressie to me. I must say what a superb book it is, the DVD is also superb. Very easy to use plus you can zoom in on the images. A real credit to every one involved.

I got my copy from Amazon for £30, but having got it, i would have paid the full price( dont think my hubby would agree though).

Regards Frances

• 1 month later...

Love the book, been allowed to open it at last today :)

Can I make the DVD map window bigger? ATM it sits in the middle of my screen with a huge blank surround.

Neil

I wasn't going to get the revised edition having bought the first one three years ago. However, with a pocketful of book tokens I wandered into Waterstone's today and spotted it on offer for £25 - 50% off - so took the opportunity to upgrade my library forthwith. No more revised editions after this though - I'll wait for the magnum opus Perter Barton alludes to in his Preface to the second edition, which will bring together the several thousand known panoramas in a definitive volume(s?) on the landscape not only of the Western Front but every Great War battlefield that was panoramaised.

• 2 weeks later...
Love the book, been allowed to open it at last today :)

Can I make the DVD map window bigger? ATM it sits in the middle of my screen with a huge blank surround.

Neil

Neil,

Am afraid that I can't say for definite if you can do this but my guess would be that it is unlikely if the settings can be changed to do it. I don't even have a copy here to see what you mean. However, there may be some others with a good technical knowledge who may be able to help.

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

When the panorama's are opened, the image does not fill the screen, not even the width, it appears only about 8" by 3".

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the explanation. As I haven’t got any copies of the revised version left here I can’t see the DVD format. However, I do have a copy of the 2005 edition with CD Roms so can you tell me if the viewing platform is markedly different to those? If it is then I’ll see what Constables say about the matter.

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I only have the original CD, I cannot comment if they differ from the new ones.

Mick

Great book Jeremy/Peter ! Loads of pics of the 177 Tunnelling Coy, might even get to spot gramps!

I can also confirm that the viewer displays in the middle of the desktop (i.e. not fullscreen), but is not a problem as you can zoom in to the pictures for more detail. I suspect that in order to get high resolution pictures the screen image cannot be made fullscreen.

Keep up the good work! Look forward to the forthcomoing Arras volume by the way.

Garry