The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Black Watch P.O.Ws

dundeesown

By any chance is there any reference to a L/Cpl James Beattie, 1657, 1st Black Watch who was captured in May 1915 and died in German hands July 1915?

By any chance is there any reference to a L/Cpl James Beattie, 1657, 1st Black Watch who was captured in May 1915 and died in German hands July 1915?

S.D.G.W. Has your man

James Beattie

B-Castleton,Roxburghshire.

E- Edinburgh.

1657., L/Cpl., Died of Wounds

France And Flanders.

Formerly 7209 Scots Guards.

thats all I have for him sorry.

Gary F.

S.D.G.W. Has your man

James Beattie

B-Castleton,Roxburghshire.

E- Edinburgh.

1657., L/Cpl., Died of Wounds

France And Flanders.

Formerly 7209 Scots Guards.

thats all I have for him sorry.

Gary F.

Thanks Dundeetown. I was hoping that he was listed in this roll of prisoners as it may also give the camp details were he was confined. As there were many other 1st Btn boys the chances are he was in the same camp.

I`m only half way through the P.O.W. books in the library so he may still turn up , saying that the vast majority of men in the books are from Dundee,but never say never.

G.F.

Hi Joe

Your best bet to find that one out I think may be FredjCarss I`m sure he was compiling a full list of B/W pows all or most of my lads are local,

as for Sjt Cooper I can`t find a thing about him, I`m thinking I may have made a mistake,will have to look into it sorry.

Gary.F.

• 3 weeks later...

Another batch of P.O.Ws from the Black Watch

200584-Pte Albert Green-1/7th B.W.--Dolmen---184 Hilltown Dundee

139494-Pte Hugh Boyle-39thM.G.C. enl 4/5th (3616)B.W--Dolmen & Minden--3 West Port Dundee

43387-Wm.G.Birse--------1st.B.W.--Limburg--------------Muirhead of Logie

s/40301 Pte Peter Connor-1st.B.W.-Limburg-------1 Burnett St. Dundee

s/43090 Pt.David Farquharson-1st B.W-------------14 Airlie St.Kirriemuir

33407 Pte James Buchanon.H.L.I--------------------Glamis

240777 Pte.John Duffus.5th Att 6th 8th--Parchim--11Kincardine St

200101 pte.James Mudie.1/7th enl.4/5th--------------35 caldrum St Dundee

s/15920 L/Cpl-Joseph Grant--4/5th--Parchim--7 Copeland Road Glasgow.

Lietenant-John Ferguson McLauchlen--4/5th--Munster 11--Stanlly Villa Monifieth

Lietenant-John.D.Stewart--4/5th--Baden---------------30 George St Perth

240163-C.S.M-J.Pattison--5th.Att.6th--Munden-----------Arbroath

s/23087.Pte W.McGregor--4/5th B.W--Gustrow----1 Milton Tce.Jamestown

s/40799.Pte J.Napier---4/5th.B.W---Gustrow----248 St.Clair St. Kirkcaldy

s/21666 Pte.F.Lewis--4/5th.B.W-----Gustrow--59 Campbell St.Dunferline

240153.Sgt.Albert gibb--1/5th--Gustrow------Stirling St. Blackford.

241191.PteJ Adams---4/5th--Gustrow--------32 Cowan St. Kirkcaldy

265936.Pte.Robert.C.Bisset--4/5th--Limburg-----Perth

202392/6501-Pte.Thomas Stephenson--4/5th B.W--Munster 11--3 GoldfinchSt.Deepdale Preston.

s/19940.Pte.William Sparrow------------4/5th-B.W.--Gustrow---13 Queen St.Blackpool

201790.Pte.Walter Phillips---------------4/5th-B.W.-Giessen--56 Strode Rd.London

201789.Pte.Percy.E Nicholls-------------4/5th-B.W.-Giessen--38 Brooksville Rd.London

201782.Pte.Reginald.F Brown---------4/5th-B.W.- Giessen---32 Pembrok Rd.Southgate,London

Do you think the London Lads all enlisted at the same time?

Thats it for now more Tonight.

Gary.F.

sorry for any bad spelling

All names from P.O.W Books in D.C.C.Central Library.

s/18116-Pte.William.N Foreman--4/5th--Gustrow---84 Margaret St.--Dunfermline

s/21606-Pte.George.Tait----------4/5th--Gustrow---Pittrodie Farm.

s/22968.Pte.Andrew Allan---------4/5th--Limburg & Gustrow--Burnside Aberdeenshire.

s/23577.Pte.Edward Ellis----------4/5th--Parchin ?---------320 Kirk St Wishaw

.Pte.J.Fenton---------------1st--Friedrichsfeld-------Brechin

Pt.D.Easson--------------4/5th--Limburg &Dolmen--14 Precinct St.Coupar Angus

201537.Pte.John Kerr--------------4/5th--Gustrow------------West Barns Dumbarton.

202659.Pte.George Webster-------4/5th--Limburg-----------130 North St.St Andrews

3088. Sgt.James.M Boyle----------9th--Dolmen------------158 King St. Broughty Ferry

s/21890.Pte.Alexander Ackers-----4/5th-Limburg & Gustrow--18 Lady Lane Paisley

201482.Pte.Robert Baxter--3/4 res-att-9th--Gustrow------31 Howard St. Arbroath.

240560.Cpl.James Beattie----------4/5th--Limburg & Giessen--4 Seagate Arbroath.

201481.Pte.David s.Norrie---3/4 res att 9th--Dolmen--Craigtay Broughty Ferry

241014.Pte.Alexander Cook--5th-att-8th---------------------Inverkeillor

201814.Pte Alexander Hay---------4/5th--Gustrow---125 Leith Walk Leith.

Thanks Gary

I see there was a guy from Coupar Angus, have you come across any from Blairgowrie? I am trying to get in touch with Fred.

Many thanks for the good work

Yours

Joe

Hi Joe

I have one lad Pte.G.Ramsay but the book gives his No.as 202620 but I can`t find a Ramsay with that No.? and it gives his address as Wardhouse Old Rattray Blairgowrie.thats all so far sorry.

Gary.F.

p.s another 72 lads to go.

Could this be your man

Pte 200046 George RAMSAY, 4/5 Black Watch

born & Enlisted Dundee

d o w 6 March 1918 France & Flanders

Ichecked the index for a servicemen called G Ramsay with a service number of 202620 and there was none

Hello Gary, This Information is from Pat Anderson, Black Watch site also Old Rattray is in Aberdeenshire.

Yours

Joe

• 1 year later...

My grandfather was a POW in WWI -16290 Pte W Cathro 1st B/w----Gardelegen--( No 1290 )------Powrie Place Longforgan. If anyone knows who this is and has more infomation I would appreciate it. I have a couple of stories and a picture of him in his BW uniform if anyone is interested.

Any thing Black Watch and you will find there is a few on this site who are interested,please post any photos of Black Watch men.

Cathro is a name that I knew in the Black Watch,the family came from the Perth Area.

Which camp was your grandfather in?

I also had relatives who were POWs both wars.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

William Ramsay McGibbons Cathro came from the Dundee area (later Glasgow). I think he had a cousin who was from the Perth area, an Alex Cathro. William (No. 1290) was at Gardelegen POW camp in Germany, WWI. I will scan his picture into my computer as soon as I can. Thanks for your help!

William Ramsay McGibbons Cathro came from the Dundee area (later Glasgow). I think he had a cousin who was from the Perth area, an Alex Cathro. William (No. 1290) was at Gardelegen POW camp in Germany, WWI. I will scan his picture into my computer as soon as I can. Thanks for your help!

Many thanks

Joe

• 7 months later...

My Great Uncle, 292702 Pte. Thomas Spence. 1/7th Black Watch is listed as having Died of Wounds on April 2, 1918. He was initially buried in a small cemetary at Abancourt, France, prior to being moved to where he is now at Flesquieres Hill. It has been postulated on another forum that he was relatively healthy when he was captured (sometime between March 21-26), and was then placed on a work detail(Abancourt was on a rail line and there appears not to have been a POW holding area/hospital there, even though one map does show a hospital, that marking may have been camouflage for war material). It has also been postulated that he may have been killed by friendly fire. Can anyone shed more light on this? Also, can he be listed on your POW list?

Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gordon

Do you have a date when your Great uncle was captured by the Germans?

On looking up GWGC list I see your great uncle father came from Alyth? I come from Blairgowrie.4 miles away.

SPENCE, THOMASInitials:TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:1st/7th Bn.Age:33Date of Death:02/04/1918Service No:292702Additional information:Son of Sarah Spence, of Sunset Drive, Hathaway Rd., Garfield Heights, Bedford, Ohio, U.S.A., and the late William Spence. Born at Mains of Creuchies, Alyth, Perthshire.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:IV. E. 2.Cemetery:FLESQUIERES HILL BRITISH CEMETERY

Armagh,

On March 30, 1918 he was listed as missing sometime between the 21st and 26th. Because of the intensity of the attack on the 1/7th Black Watch on the morning of the 21st, I assume that it is likely that he may have possibly been captured that morning.

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon

A History of the Black Watch(RHR) by Major-General A.G.Wauchope C.B.

The 7th Bn BW took over the front line at Louverval on 1st March 1918.

The German offensive started on the 21st March The two front line coys C & D were a cut once off.

The intense bombardment entirely destroyed the front line trenches and few survivors of C & D were able to get back to Battalion HQ.

I will try and find out which coy 292702 Pte T.Spence was in,also more details as a POW. Death listed in the History of the BW.

Joe

Armagh!

Thank you Very Very much.

Pte. Spence was in A Coy. I had thought that the Battalion was down to 3 companies at this time based upon reorganization. I guess that was a mistake on my part.

Any further information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Gordon

Armagh!

Thank you Very Very much.

Pte. Spence was in A Coy. I had thought that the Battalion was down to 3 companies at this time based upon reorganization. I guess that was a mistake on my part.

Any further information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Gordon

Hope you can read this Gordon.

21marchBlackWatch001.jpg

BlackWatch2001.jpg

WOW!

Based on this it looks as if he could have been captured anytime between the afternoon of the 21st and the evening of the 26th.

These few pages have given me a new appreciation for this particular battle.

Gordon

Gordon

it is hard to picture a battle like that,I was 30 years in the army and have been across to France & Flanders many times walking battle fields and thinking,what was going on, remember Highland regiments like the Black Watch were doing there fighting in a kilt,wet cold muddy conditions slipping about, hunger and wanting a drink of water,it must have been hell.

Joe