The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

duke of wellingtons regt

munchkin

Hi ALL,

My great grandfather died in october 1918 during the persuit to the selle.

My question is - after looking on a web site www.warpath.orbat.com/divs/49_div.htm i am confused.

My grandfather was in the Duke of wellington 1/7 Bn (west yorks), and lost his life on 11/10/1918 (pte Joseeph Tew). On the web site it appears that there were two 1/7th Batallions one in the 146th Brigade and one in the 147th Brigade. How can i find out which one my great grandfather was in ?.

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Guest Hill 60
Duke of wellington 1/7 Bn (west yorks)

The Duke of Wellington's was the West Riding Regiment not the West Yorkshire Regiment, maybe that is where the confusion arises.

Guest Hill 60

A quick look at one of my books states that the 1/7th West Riding were in the 147th Bde 49th Div and the 1/7th West Yorks were in the 146th Bde 49th Div...if I read it correctly.

If you had used a proper website (The long, Long Trail, link top left of this page), you'd have the answer! ;)

There is a page about the Duke's here, and the order of battle and a potted history of their Division here.

Chris,

I do use proper web sites. And if you click on the dukes concerning the persuit to the sell, it is still under construction!!!!!.

Thanks for all your answers guys.