The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Garrison Battalions

WASMAN

Short but sweet question, What was a Garrison Battalion ,as the name suggests they stayed at home in the Garrison, but obviously in the Great War they did,nt, so were they used just like a regular Battalion or did they have "other duties". I know the 1st Garrison Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment went to egypt.

Short but sweet question, What was a Garrison Battalion ,as the name suggests they stayed at home in the Garrison, but obviously in the Great War they did,nt, so were they used just like a regular Battalion or did they have "other duties". I know the 1st Garrison Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment went to egypt.

Hi

I have too been pondering this query as my great granddad was in the 1st Garrison Bn, Lincolnshire Regiment and was posted to India. The story that is beginning to unfold here is that his was possibly a Guard battalion (he joined the 8th Lucknow Presidency Brigade), but until I get to the PRO and find his service records I won't be able to get any further.

I don't know if you have checked The Long Long Trail, but this has details of army units in the research room which may help shed some light.

Good luck

Dee ;)