The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Day the war ended

Steven Broomfield

If MP does half as good a job as Ian Hislop did in his truly outstanding programme on memorials, this will be a cut and a half above the average Remembrance Day-period programme. Personally I like Michael Palin, and would expect him to bring sensitivity and insight to the programme. Since he seems to have become a professional presenter, he ought to do a good job of it - that, after all, is what professional presenters are for, and ipso facto they tend to be celebrities. If MP's presence draws more viewers and stimlulates interest, that's a good thing. And if Paul is doing the research, we can expect it to be done properly!

Looking forward to viewing this - should be interesting.....

The following is part of today's Guardian Television Guide introduction to the programme:

"He looks at what happened in the last hours of the war and questions why an estimated 11,000 men were killed or wounded on that last day. At Verdun American troops were going into action on the morning of the 11th, and on the banks of the Sambre Canal, 2000 soldiers, including Wilfred Owen, lost their lives." :(

Regards,

Martin

Technically, I suppose, Owen was killed in the last 170 or so hours of the War – but was it not the telegram informing his mother of his death that arrived on Armistice Day?

OK guys Im the one to blame if you dont like the programme.

Yes Paul was our historical consultant and a fine job he did too, not in least in discovering really NEW information on Private George Ellison who is generally regarded as the Last British Soldier to be killed in action in WW1.

Yes Michael Palin was perhaps an unexpected choice to present the programme but I think he does a good job and he will bring new people to the subject and if they begin to think about the sacrifice so many made during WW1 then that has to be a good thing.

The programme goes out next Saturday 1st November 2008 at 20.15 on BBC2 and is repeated at 22.00 on BBC4 rightly on 11th November 2008.

Thanks very much to those who helped me with advice and contacts in making this programme.

John

I think it's great that so many people on this forum have helped contribute to this programme. It sounds like Paul Reed and his team of researchers have done an excellent job and I'm really looking forward to watching the programme tonight.

Regards,

Rab

Also a fan of Michael Palin's. :closedeyes:

The following is part of today's Guardian Television Guide introduction to the programme:

"He looks at what happened in the last hours of the war and questions why an estimated 11,000 men were killed or wounded on that last day. At Verdun American troops were going into action on the morning of the 11th, and on the banks of the Sambre Canal, 2000 soldiers, including Wilfred Owen, lost their lives." :(

Regards,

Martin

Remember we have no say about what is written in newspapers, but I can assure you the film does not say this. Critics have a lot of TV to watch, and so can get... confused. <_<

Pity poor Broomers!

Unable to watch two televisions at the same time, yet torn between what I expect to be a superb programme on BBC2, and live coverage of the Stanford T20 $20 million match on Sky.

:lol::lol::lol:

At the risk of dragging this thread off-topic, I will merely content myself by saying that (fortunately in this case) I am not allowed Sky.

Not that it would be a choice anyway. I'm afraid Messrs Brand and Woss have beaten me to it in the descriptive stakes on what I think of T20 in general and 'Sir' Allen Stanford's extravaganza in particular.

Agreed

Also thanks to Paul who must have had a tremendous influence on the tone and intelligent way the whole issue was handled.

A credit to the whole production team.

Jim

A very good programme I thought, congratulations to John and his team.

Andy

First class. Couldn't fault it. Well done all (especially MP, who utterly confounded mu opinion of celeb presenters!)

Mods....there now appears to be three threads on this topic....might i suggest an amalgamation?

The good doctor's thoughts on wounds etc at the end ... powerful.

Well done to all - especially the forumites I know of .. PR and Christina Holstein ... excellent presentations by both. VG marking for prog.

But I HATE the stock footage being used out context. And the two contributors above probably agree!

Des

It was great to see the grand-daughters of G Ellison as they were shown the photo of their Grandfather. What a great find for the family. The researcher who found the photo must be feeling very proud to have brought so much pleasure to these women.

Rab

Timewatch

I enjoyed the programme. The American attitude at the end of the war was new to me and the behaviour of some of their generals was criminal. Did I pick this up wrongly, or did the programme give the impression that the railway coach, in which Palin described the signing of the armistice, was the original one?

To add my thoughts

A very good programme well presented, the bit that got me was the lad who`s face was torn away & the comment about War being about the glorious dead.

I know this comment is off topic but 3 weeks ago i saw a British soldier with a very similar wound in Afghanistan, its still not the wounded who make the news story as much as it should.

A well researched programme presented in a dignified manner, well done the BBC

Bob