The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Bn, Royal West Surreys

Gary Samson

In the hope that I haven't missed some embarrassingly major engagement (I've not yet had a chance to have a look at the battalion war diary) I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me what the 8th Bn, The Royal West Surrey Regt was doing on 30 April 1916. Nothing the previous day and then suddenly 20 OR casualties, mostly DoW, with a steady trickle of more DoW until 3 May. One of fatalities was a relative (great uncle) gassed on 30 April who died three days later. Does this sound like a concerted gas attack on a section of the front line, or perhaps a support area, occupied by the RWS?

Gary

8th Queen's (Royal West Surreys) were at Wulverghem April 1916.

Official History of the War France & Belgium 1916 vol.1:

"About 12.35 am (30th April) heavy rifle and machine gun fire was opened by the enemy along the greater part of the front held by 73rd Brigade and 72nd Brigade, of the 24th Division and 76th Brigade, the right of the 3rd Division. The 13/Middlesex and 2/Leinster (73rd Bde), 8/Queen's and 1/North Staffs (72nd) and 10/R. Welch Fusiliers (76th) were in the line. Almost simultaneously, gas was launched along a 2 mile frontage.... In parts of the line the hissing made by the release of the gas was detected, but in general this was drowned by the noise of fire. The smell which in a minute became very intense was therefore in most cases the first intimation of the release of gas. The wind was very strong and the gas reached the British Front Line almost without notice; but all stood to and adjusted their helmets and made ready to resist the enemy. A brilliant desplay of Very lights all along the front now revealed the gas cloud to view. The cloud travelled a considerable distance with great rapidity, being quite unpleasently strong at Bailleul, 6 miles away. Here it was noticed at 1.12 am, which equals a speed of 300 yards per minute...... From the effects observed, chlorine with a certain amount of phosgene gas had been employed...."

Steve

Enormous thanks, Steve. Now, I wonder if I'll be able to find this soldier's service record at Kew. Might be a long haul for Albert George SMITH. :(

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Gary