The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Memoirs

hooge1

Anyone found written inserts or messages in memoirs or old great war books and wonder what the stories are behind them?

For example I have a copy of Memoirs of an Infantry Officer inside the first leaf it says:

To "Biel"

With memories of a

" good companionship "

from

Stan

29:XI:30

I wonder what the story is behind this?

Ignore me if you think I'm mad, but it fills me with curiosity.

Amongst my books i have countless examples of messages, annotations, corrections, and i always wonder about the story behind them, thier authors long since gone!!

I have a wonderful description of a VAD landing in France and meeting troops straight from the trenches, muddy and wet, thier C O allowing them to break step and sing to these VAD`S very moving,

best regards John

I have a book about the Dardanelles/Gallipoli that contains a lot of sketches and water colours. The fly-leaf inscription reads "To BMP Palliser from RJEP - The illustrations are very like reality". I think RJEP(the intials are not very clear) must be a Palliser also. This indicates he was there, and I've long wondered who Palliser was. I think he would have been a naval officer.

I also have Willcox's History of the 3rd (KO) Hussars in the Great War inscribed: 'The First Copy', from the Publisher [John Murray] to the author.

I have one book "The Story of the 55th Division" theres no guess work as to who has once had it, as he has wrote his name R E Horsfall 1/4 Battalion Loyal North Lancs, which I do believe is the same battalion of the author of "Other Ranks" W V Tilsley a very rare memoir