The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Noel Hodgson

n cherry

Does anybody have a copy of his MC citation? Obviously better known as a War Poet and killed on 1st July 1916 and now buried in Devonshire Cemetery but he won an MC at Loos in 1915. Always meant to try and find it at the PRO but never got round ot it!

My freind Kate is the great-great niece of Noel Hodgson. After i'd made a few visits to France, she casually mentioned this. She was told by her mother that after he died, his sister set off to visit his grave but fell getting off the train and broke her ankle. She went home and supposedly never tried to go again. Kates mother has never been and nor had her grandmother. Kate came with me about 5 years ago, and we took a lovely photo of her at Noel's grave. He's had 1000's of visitors i know, but it's nice that someone from his family bothered after all this time. Kate's got another famous relative. Her great uncle was Seigfreid Sassoon. And she's not even interested in the war!

Guest Simon Bull

It would be lovely to see this photograph posted. Also intriguing to know (bearing in mind that your friend is related to Hodgson and Sassoon) what, if any, familial relationship there was between Hodgson and Sassoon.

Simon Bull

Sorry Simon, i can't post the photo because it's in a frame in Kate's house (and i woudn't know how to anyway!). But i can tell you how they are tenuously related. Kate's maternal gt-grandmother Stella was Noel Hodgson's sister. She had a daughter called Penelope who married Oliver Gatty, whose sister Hester married Sassoon. So............Noel Hodgson's niece was Seigfreid Sassoon's sister-in-law. Kate never met Sassoon, but her mother did.

Writing all this reminds me of another link story concerning the 3 double VC winners. Does anyone know it?