The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

American SDGW books

WASMAN

I have a set of these, they really are hard to come by and they are excellent. I bought them for $165. This seller will only post to the US of A though.

Tom.

I also noticed the restriction to USA postage.

Why?

The seller pays the postage costs so why the limitation? Am I missing something?

Terry,

Ebay is wierd like that. For example, many German sellers specify Germany only . As you say, as long as the buyers takes the risk and pays the postage, I will send anywhere.

PALS

If you think obout it the Americans,the Germans,the French,us ie British are all the same.We want to preserve our history.One way of doing this is to do our best to ensure as much as posible of it stayes at home.If I was selling I would want it to stay here.

Just a thought.

JOHN.

Good point John. I suppose I'm just a typically mercenary Brit - best bid secures !

I suppose it's rather different if we are talking about a common item rather than some great masterpiece.

You would be amazed how many 'Germany only' eBay items I have obtained. I generally write to the seller and ask, I point out that I have a 100% positive feedback and I pay all costs. 9 out of 10 respond with a yes and in some cases almost seem to have wanted to sell worldwide but failed to mark off thye correct box.

The disturbing thing in some cases is that it is family items being sold, from books to postcards and original documents.

Ralph

I think your analysis may be right, Ralph. I will have a go at some of these German sellers. After all who turns down best price ? Another problem with Germany is their reticence to use Paypal - or is this not available to them ?

Keep in mind US Banks (personal accounts) are not international friendly conversion and 'handling'fees can quickly turn a good deal into a poor one for the seller.

Take care,

Neil