The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Engineers MID Citation

chrislock

Have just bought medal trio to emulate my Great Uncles medals. Is there a Royal Engineers museum and Record Office in the UK that may be able to tell me what this soldiers MID was awarded for? Maybe certain newspapers detailed a MID once awarded? I do have his No, Name and Unit. Please help! Chris.

Chris

There is indeed a Royal Enginners museum (a Google search will find it for you), but don't hold your breath about getting the info. MiDs were usually for general good conduct so there is unlikely to be a specific record. If you can get to the National Archives to look up the RE Company's war diary, you may possibly find a reference.

Best bet may well be the local newspaper that served your relative's area. The very local weekly paper is probably a better bet that the wider circulation of, say, the daily evening paper. Again, no breath holding, I'm afraid.

John

Thank you for the advice and tips! Deatails as follows, 19511 Pte C L B Sturgess, M I D, Royal Engineers. I have his 14/15 Star, Victory and War medals.