The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Col Alan Frederick MARCHMENT MC DSO TD

tamos123

Hi

Please could anyone point me in the right direction to gain more information on the above officer. I have ploughed through the Gazette's painful search process and know he was gazetted for his MC on 3rd June 1917 and that he was made Act Maj on 9th Aug 1917

Fairly sure he survived the war as I have a silver medallion dated 1924

Any help or ideas will be gratefully received....what does TD stand for

cheers

Nick

Are you sure his name is correct? I can't find him in the Army List or the DSO book. Regards. Dick Flory

as sure as I can be its A F Marchment on the medallion and the Gazette shows an Capt Alan Frederick Marchment 1/1st London R TF for the MC.....presume the same man?

Thanx for the name - you had left his surname off of your title for the thread! I will see what I can find on him and get back to you. Regards. Dick Flory

Lt. Col. Alan Frederick Marchment, DSO, MC, TD

Born on 17 Oct 90, the son of Frederick James Marchment of Manor Park, Lee

Educated at Dulwich College from 19 Jan 04 to Jul 09; played on VIII from 06-09 (Captain in 1909).

Employed as an engineer

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, in the 1st (City of London) Bn, The London Regiment on 8 Jun 09.

Promoted to Major on 13 Apr 17

Brevet Lt. Col in 1924

Served in France and Germany from 9 Mar 15 to 11 Nov 18

Commanded the 4th Bn,The London Regiment from 30 Aug 17 to the end of the war.

Military Cross for the Great War

DSO in London Gazette of 26 July 1918: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when commanding his battalion. He directed the operations from the top of his dug-out, and though under heavy artillery, machine-gun and rifle fire during the day he continued to organize and direct his men with the utmost coolness, in spite of many direct hits. On more than one occasion he organized his battalion headquarter details for counter-attack. He set a fine example of fearlessness and soldier-like qualities.”

Mentioned in Despatches twice: London Gazettes of 25 May 17 and 30 Dec 18

Shot for England in 1913, King’s Prize, Bisley, 1922

Winner of many prizes at Bisley

Member of the Council of the National Rifle Association in 1921

Sources: The Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923; Dulwich College Register, 1619-1926; Dulwich College War Record 1914-1919; various Army Lists.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thank you very much...out of interest where did you find all this info?

I found the information in the sources, listed at the bottom of the biographical information, which I have in my library. Regards. Dick Flory