The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Saint Quentin: Hindenburg Line (Battleground Europ

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Could any Pal who has read this particular book (ie Saint Quentin: Hindenburg Line in the Battleground Europe series) tell me whether it covers the fighting in the area of Briastre in October 1918?

We are visiting the area shortly -- it is where my wife's Great Grandfather won a Bar to his Military Cross. I am interested in a guidebook which covers the area and it is difficult to tell from the descriptions which I have seen whether this one is relevant.

Thanks.

Simon Bull.

There is nothing specifically about Briastre. There are sporadic accounts of the retreat of the BEF in 1914, the impact of building the Hindenburg Line on the population of St Quentin, some of the fighting during the German retreat of 1917, some examples from the German Spring offensive, the advance on St Quentin during September 1918 and there it ends. There is nothing in the book on the Hindenburg Line that is in the same series.

Which unit was your wife's Great Grandfather in?

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks for you help Robert.

My wife's Great Grandfather was Charles Hulbert Madden of the 8th Somerset. We already have quite a bit of information about the circumstances in which he won his medals, but I was hoping for a book that indicated what we still apparent on the ground. At the moment I can't find any modern book which deals with this.

Thanks again.

Simon Bull

I have double-checked for you and there is only a mention of the 6th Somerset Light Infantry on 21st March 1918, near Essigny.

• 4 years later...
Guest ardderchog680
Thanks for you help Robert.

My wife's Great Grandfather was Charles Hulbert Madden of the 8th Somerset. We already have quite a bit of information about the circumstances in which he won his medals, but I was hoping for a book that indicated what we still apparent on the ground. At the moment I can't find any modern book which deals with this.

Thanks again.

Simon Bull

Simon, if you're still on this list, do get in touch. My wife is also descended from Charles Hulbert Madden. I have some useful background information

680 - welcome to the forum - sadly Simon is now in the "departed" group of members, so unless he comes onto the forum as a guest, I don't think he'll see your message.

Alan

Simons Personal Message icon appears to still be active. You may be able to contact him via that method.

If not, then I may have his e-mail address at home, and could try and contact him for you.

Steve.