The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Shot at Dawn - Relative in Firing Party

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I am in the process of transcribing the diary of one of my great-uncles. There is an entry on 26 February 1916, which reads 'FP at dawn double ration'. I take FP to be firing party but according to my copy of the war diary of 9th Bn East Surreys, no member of the Battalion was executed on this day or any other.

As for 'double ration' - does this mean a double rum ration?

Any pointers or definitive information if a soldier was executed on this day appreciated. My great-uncle was 9th Bn East Surreys, 72nd Brigade, 24th Division.

Ian

Ian.

What was the battalion up to that day and where? I'm asking this ,because a Firing Party doesn't necessarily have to be taking part in an execution. For example, FPs are involved at military funerals and some other ceremonial events.

Hell, I was once part of a FP, and I never executed anyone!!!! :lol:

Dave.

I wonder Ian if "FP" might be Field Punishment?

"Double ration" might mean two men instead of one . . . just a thought.

Peter in sunny Vancouver

26th February 1916. Driver Thomas Moore of the ASC was the only one executed for murder. I doubt that was it. More likely a burial party.

Aye

Malcolm

Ian

26 February 1916 Pte Thomas Moore ASC for murder - but firing squad was from his own Company.

27 February 1916 Pte James Crozier for desertion. Sentence carried out at Mailly-Maillet.

Alfred Eveleigh? 1 E Kents 24/02/1916 too early? anywhere in the vicinity?

Also Robert Gawler 1 E Kents, and John Jones 1 Northants.. but also 24/2/1916

Probably the wrong ones...

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian

26 February 1916 Pte Thomas Moore ASC for murder - but firing squad was from his own Company.

27 February 1916 Pte James Crozier for desertion. Sentence carried out at Mailly-Maillet.

I have had the chance to do a bit more reading and 'FP' does not appear again. But I am of the belief that it refers to fatigue party rather than firing party.

Interestingly, as has been pointed out to me by e-mail, Dvr Moore was also in the 24th Division, but as Ivor has said, he was shot by men of his own company.

Thanks,

Ian