The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Navy Armoured car Divs

Julian Whippy

There must be someone who knows all about the Royal Naval Armoured car Division !

Researching a Royal Marine officer of this unit is proving difficult even with help at Kew. Does any one know a link to their Orbat, history, Roll Of Honour or such like.

Not being used to researching Marines any help is appreciated.

Julian

Hi,

Only reference I have regarding this unit: 63rd [R.N.] Div., 1915 Gallipoli, Armoured Motor Machine-gun Sqn.

Joined the Div at Lemnos on 17/3/1915, was engaged with the Div. at Anzac and Gallipoli in April and May 1915.

Hope this helps!

Arthur

These units were under the auspices of the Royal Naval Air Service. The archives for the units are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton and all being well they can probably supply you with the relevant service record.

Can you tell us a little more (who the man is; what squadron he was in and any details you have - with a bit of luck this should identify the unit and we can go from there.

Martin

Julian

Yes, if you can provide more information on your man I can probably provide some useful information.

Charles M

All, thanks for the encouraging replies.

"My man" is Anthony Wilding (Tennis ace) Captain , Royal Marines, born 1883,

KiA at Aubers Ridge, Northern France 9/5/15. Buried at Richebourg near Neuve Chappelle. Originally from NZ.

Other than Royal Marines, Armoured car Div I have as yet got no further with his exact unit or numbers./service history. I have a report stating he was in command of a seabrook armoured lorry on the day of Aubers attack, but why was he in the front line, and attached to who ? They are not mentioned in the normal Orbats for the battle.

Heres hoping !

JW

Julian

I'm a little mystified, as you asked about Wilding's death on this Forum in March last year and I gave you the circumstances, together with some general comments on the RNACD and a recommendation that you get hold of David Fletcher's War Cars.

Wilding was apparently operating in support of 8th Division. He was in either No 5 or No 6 Squadron at the time. There is a certain amount at Kew under ADM and AIR. In particular, you will find ADM 1/8418/99 and ADM 101/332 useful. I also have an AIR reference 1/147-15/64, which is RNACD reports 1915, but this reference does not seem to be coming up on PROCAT and so I suspect that it might have been changed, especially since it was 30 years ago that I looked at it. You will have to ask the experts at Kew about it.

Hope this helps

Charles

Charles thanks for bearing with me, much has happened since last March and only now am I trying to "flesh out" last years information. PROCAT was not working when i last needed it also.

That has given me more to go on too.

I am told that i need to know his Division ie Chatham, Portsmouth to look up his service record,,?

Ta

JW

I am told that i need to know his Division ie Chatham, Portsmouth to look up his service record.

Hi,

You don't need to know the division to find a record of service for a RM officer. This is the case for other ranks, but officers could change division and on occassion switch between RMA and RMLI. You can determine which yours was by looking him up in the Navy list, but this will not alter the location of his record. ADM 196/106-114 contains the appropriate record for entry into the Marines between 1884 and 1921; all have integral indexes. Your man's will be here. Marine casualties are listed alphabetically in ADM 242/7 to ADM 242/10 , giving name, rank, number, ship's name, date and place of birth, cause of death, where buried (including plot number) and next-of-kin.

Hope this solves the puzzle, if you have anymore questions regarding this then PM me.

Rgds,

Alex.

Alex

that sounds just what I needed, hopefully my next PRO trip will be more fruitfull !

Cheers, will PM you if more stumble occurr.

Julian