The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/7 Manchester Battalion

Guest Les Croft

Guest Les Croft

I'm trying to locate a date of birth for an elderly lady of a Private 1719 Harry Lowry who died of wounds received at Gallipoli. I've located his grave but his date of birth is unknown, and he doesn't appear in the 1901 census.

Despite looking at Grandad's War I'm still stuck.

Any help or does anyone know of the Battalion mentioned?

Guest Pete Wood

As you are probably aware, a lot of people were not registered.

I can tell you that, according to the Soldiers Died In The Great War CD Rom, that Harry died of wounds.

His place of birth is given as Stepney, Middlesex

He enlisted in Manchester and was living in Bradford at the time.

I believe the Stepney birth registers are held at Tower Hamlets. Even though he joined as 'Harry' and was known by that name, he may have been registered by another name - eg Harold or Henry, and his surname may have been recorded as Lowrey.

If you have the name of his parents or any brothers/sisters, this may well help.

What other information do you have....?

Chatby Military and War Memorial Cemetery (originally the Garrison cemetery) was used for burials until April 1916, when a new cemetery was opened at Hadra. Thereafter, burials at Chatby were infrequent, although some graves were brought into the cemetery after the war from other burial grounds in the area. There are now 2,259 First World War burials in the cemetery. The cemetery also contains war graves of other nationalities and 307 non war and military graves, some of which date from 1882.

Harry is buried in plot L130. If you click on http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cemetery_...ry=10702&mode=1 you can find the exact position

1/7 Manchesters were a Territorial Battalion. They sailed on the ship, Ionian, and landed at Helles (V beach) on the 7th May.

The Manchesters then moved into the front line at Krithia Nullah on the 11th May. Two platoons tried to advance 100 yds on the 13th May, but were unable to hold the gains and withdrew back to the starting point. I suspect that this was when Harry was wounded and evacuated, by ship, to a hospital in Alexandria, Egypt where he later died.

It is possible, but very unlikely, that he is mentioned in the battalion war diary.

Les

Welcome to the Forum

There is really only way that you might find a date of birth and that is if his service papers exist amongst the "burnt records" at the National Archives (you will have seen what this might contain in "grandads war".

At the time of his enlistment he was living in the Bradford area of Manchester. He had, however, been born in Stepney, London, so you may need to widen your search on the 1901 Census if you have only been looking in the Manchester area.

You also ask if anyone knows about the Battalion. I have a general interest in the Manchesters (although not specifically the 1/7th). Is there any particular info. you are looking for. There is an "unofficial history" of the Bn - "With the Manchester in the East" - written in the 1920s. There is a copy at the regimental archives at Tameside Local History Library.

John

Les,

You may like to keep a lookout for this book:

'I Remain Your Son Jack' - Letters from the First World War by JC Morten; edited by Sheila Morten

published 1993 by Sigma Leisure, Sigma Press, 1 South Oak Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshie SK9 6AR

ISBN: 1-85058-346-3

Jack was a Stockport lad who joined the 7th Manchesters at the outbreak of war, and was later commissioned into the battalion. The book is 200 packed and well-illustrated pages, but unfortunately does not have an index, so I cannot readily see if Pte Lowry is mentioned.

Good luck with your researches

Kate

Les

The 1901 census index does show a Harry Lowrey [+ e], twelve years old, born in Mile End, London, which is getting close.

Sue

Can I also mention a small book about the Manchester Infantry Brigade between September 1914 and July 1915..the 7th Manchesters were part of this Brigade.

The book is mainly about their GOC Brigadier Noel Lee who was the first Territorial

Brigadier killed in the Great War, but also mentions the units a lot and their time in Egypt and Gallipoli. It's called 'I Shall Not Find His Equal' and the Manchester Regt Museum should still have some.

I found it an interesting little read.

Les,

You might try finding his date of birth by 'going backwards' from his Death Certificate, a copy of which you can order online (can't recall the web address). This will show his age at death and thus you can then calculate (+/- 1 year) what year he was born. With this information you should then be able to 'home in' on the GRO indexes (copies held on microfiche at your local Archive/Records Office) and identify his birth - assuming it was registered. With the GRO reference you can then order a copy of his Birth Certificate - again online.

Andy.