The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Geddes Force

Michael

I'm off to the Salient in a couple of weeks and want to get a feel for where the Geddes Force went to hold the line in April 1915.

Am I correct in thinking that they were between Vancouver Corner and the canal ?

If anyone can post a section of a trench map I'd be most grateful.

Also does anyone know the EXACT location of where Geddes was hit by the shell on the 28th.

Michael

This contemporary sketch shows the initial position of Geddes' Detachment on 23 Apr 1915. On the last day, 28 Apr, they advaced up the Wieltje-St.Julien road.

The Report on Operations merely states that Col. Geddes was killed at his headquarters at 7.45 A.M., 28 Apr 1915 by the explosion of a 5.9 shell. I believe that his headquarters were still at St. Jean, but this is probably not "exact" enough for you.

However, I got this information at the Canadian War Diaries site at:

http://www.archives.ca/02/02015202_e.html

There is a lot of stuff there about 2nd Ypres including diaries, reports, and sketches from many British units. You may find what you need there.

post-2-1078873130.jpg

Thanks James

I hadn't thought of looking for British war diaries in the Canadian archives, but the 85th Brigade for 2nd Ypres is there.

The sketch is just what I was after

Michael

Michael

Attached, for interest, is a snap of Colonel Augustus David Geddes.

Hope the trip to the Salient goes well. Will you be visiting his grave in Ypres Reservoir Cemetery?

With kind regards

Jimmy

post-2-1078951947.jpg