The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Three Cheers for the Derrys!

bcampbell

I've just got my long awaited copy of "Three cheers". The book looks excellant and the size allows for the inclusion of some great photos. A big mention has to go to forum member Rob Elliot who has compiled an extensive list of the men who served with the 10th Btn. This book will be a must for those who have an interest in the Derrys.

Yes Chris, just out today. I had been looking for the original for a while then heard that the second edition was to be published. More photos, increased text and interview with a veteran that wasn't in the first edition.

I have no commercial interest in the book itself but here is a copy of the advertising flyer with details if any Forum Plas are looking to order the new/updated version. I have to agree with Brian that it looks to be a superb book and with the first edition now fetching really silly money, assuming you can get a copy, a very timely update and reprint. A well done I think should go to both Gardiner M and Rob E for all their efforts.

Regards, Tommy.

Rob Elliott has been working away behind the scenes on this one for years. Credit also to Trevor Temple and of course G. S. Mitchell! review copy expected anytime .. can't wait.

Chris,

I think you'll find its more like 16-17 years since the book was done.

As a couple of the above posts mention i did a little research for the new edition and therefore do not feel i should say too much about the quality of the contents, but i would like to outline why i feel the second edition was due.

The First edition was a labour of love for Gardiner Mitchell, as with most authors who post on this forum, because of his great-uncle Jim on whose story the book is mainly based.

Gardiner wanted to get the book out for Jim while he was still with us so that he would know his comrades were still remembered.

This was achieved and its great credit to Gardiner that it was done.

As with most books, shortly after publishing, people came forward with more stories and photographs.

It was about this time i got to know Gardiner as i had been doing a [very] little research of my own on the 10th Inniskillings.

By good fortune we were informed of the possibity there was another veteran of the battalion still alive a Mr James Monteith of Londonderry who lived in a nursing home in Moneymore. They had no idea he was an old soldier.

He had lived in the home for nearly thirty years and in all those years he never had a visitor to see him about his war service.

Ironically only 400 yards away lived one of the most famous of the 10th Inniskilling and Ulster Division veterans, Leslie Bell.

Leslie was rolled out every opportunity to give a quote, yet his war ended in his first attack about 300 yards from our front line on the 1st July 1916.

Mr Monteith served in every major battle the 36th Ulster Division took part in after the Somme, as he was in Ireland training at the time, including

Messines, Cambrai, Passchendaele. Langemark, the March retreat and the crossing of the Lys.

We were priviliged to be able to spend some time with him. At 92 he looked 72 and his memory for events 70 odd years previous, put mine for things last week to shame.

Its been about 15 years since Jim, Leslie and James died and all the additional information from interviews, families stories and newly found photograghs were stored in boxes while we got on with jobs, houses and families.

So earlier this year having got rid of all the things holding us back, jobs, houses etc [only jesting] Gardiner decided to look into it, again with a definate goal in mind, using the additional information now available.

A lot of local feedback stated that an updated edition would, in the light of the current wave of interest in Ireland for the Great War, compliment the work being carried out in Londonderry regarding the war memorial project by Trevor Temple and Mary McIlhenney and add to the general interest.

I fully agreed with this sentiment and i along with many others pressed Gardiner to give it a go.

There are many historical and factual books being done now, but fewer recollections of veterans.

Many people will not have seen the first edition, which i believe stands well against more academic works.

As yet i have not seen a copy of the new book and like Des am eager to do so.

I have seen the new photos to be included and they are very good. I think Teddy at the Ulster Tower may be interested to see what the excavated trenches in Thiepval Wood looked like just before the 1st July.

I hope you guys enjoy the book and have just one question i'm sure we would all like the answer to- whens the Ulster Division memorial book going to be put together?

I trust no forum rules have been streched regarding promoting a [semi] commercial venture!

Rob

Ok folks - the official press release and details of availability. I'm told that copies are selling very quickly indeed.

Paperback copies of the book are now available in local shops priced at £16.90, and a limited number of special edition hardback collectors items priced at £19.50 are available to purchase directly from YES! Publications, 10-12, Bishop Street. Tel: 02871 261941. www.yespublications.org email: yes@yespublications.org

“Three Cheers for The Derrys!”

Gardiner S. Mitchell

Tuesday 11 November 2008 marked the 90th anniversary of the cessation of hostilities in the First World War. Seventeen years ago, YES! Publications, published the local classic "Three Cheers for The Derrys!" a history of the 10th (Derry) Battalion based on the recollections of veterans Jim Donaghy and Leslie Bell. A moving story offering a startlingly honest account of the suffering, hardship, comradeship and bravery of young men who where known as the 10th (Derry) Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Written by Gardiner S. Mitchell, the book was an instant success, selling rapidly and gaining critical applause from military and historical enthusiasts for its first-hand, realistic, and non-sanitised testimonies of once naïve young men who swiftly matured in the battle-hardened regions of France and Belgium.

Those testimonies have since been absorbed into more general histories of the First World War, and narrated in television documentaries. UTV newsreader and World War 1 enthusiast, Paul Clark, for example, some years ago read heart-rending extracts from "Three Cheers" during a Great War remembrance television programme.

Although originally written primarily with a local readership in mind, the book's universal theme of excited and ingenuous young men who had grown up together, joining up with romantic notions of war soon dashed on the blood-soaked fields of France and Belgium, appealed to a wider audience, and the book became much sought after in the years following its initial publication, with YES! Publications inundated – for almost two decades on an almost daily basis – with requests for copies of "Three Cheers," and books swapping hands for up to £300 on the internet!

Demand for a reprint has now been more than adequately satisfied. The author has completely revised and enlarged the original text, and added many digitally enhanced photographs, some never seen by the general public before.

The Roll of Honour, contained at the back of the first edition of the book, has been totally updated by English World War 1 aficionado, Robert Elliott and will undoubtedly be a beneficial tool for anyone seeking information on relatives who served with the 10th Inniskillings in the Great War. The book's very readable style and detailed accounts of the lives of World War 1 soldiers will also make it perfect for school classrooms; as a useful companion for those visiting the battlefields of France and Belgium and as an ideal Christmas present for those with a general interest in local and military history.

Arguably, the greatest addition to the new version of "Three Cheers" has been the recollections of forgotten 10th Battalion veteran, James Monteith. Mr Monteith served as a runner with the 10th Battalion the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

post-1582-1227095319.jpg

review copy received.

I have nothing but the highest praise for this re-vamped volume. Anyone with the slightest interest in Ulster Division, Inniskillings, the city and county of Londonderry (and Donegal for that matter) should have this in their collection.

Well written, amply illustrated, carefully researched and presented in a top quality format (A4).

I devoured this book first time around and the added information, pictures and accounts simply made my 'return' to its pages all the more satisfying. A fine big feast of a book to tuck into.

Three cheers for the production team. Three cheers for the author. Three cheers for those who backed him up.

Three cheers for the Derrys.

Des

• 2 weeks later...

Received my copy over the weekend and would concur with everything Des has said - beautifully presented (I'd recommend the hardbook if you can get hold of it), and fulfils its brief in terms of presenting the battalion history, personal stories from the men, and some glorious photographs. A big feast of a book indeed.

Well done to all involved

Alan

Alan,

The official launch is next Wednesday evening, 10th December, at the Harbour Museum Londonderry.

Lots of interest in the City now for the 1st War, the local papers had spreads and Radio Foyle has a small web-site.

Have been trying to track info for some families today, following local hitorian Trevor Temple's talk on friday in one of the libraries.

Rob

Hello,

At what time is the book launch next Wednesday ? does it consist of a talk ? and how long is it likely to last for ?

{ these questions are due to me living about 80 miles away, and if it would be worthwhile attending }

Jonathon,

Not had final details off Gardiner yet but last time we spoke he said he was going to do a talk of some sort.

Start about 8:00pm for an hour. There will be some others coming up and also Trevor temple who does a lot of research in Londonderry.

I will meet up with Gardiner and Trevor before it starts as i will be stopping in the hotel across the road.

You are welcome to join us before it starts if you wanted to.

Where are you coming up from?

Rob

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your swift and informative reply. I am not yet sure if i will be able to be present, but the programme you have laid out, would make it more worth while for me to attend. I live in Fivemiletown, County Tyrone, which is about a 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours drive away.

My grandfather served with the 9th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, hence my interest in all things relating to the 36th Ulster Division and the First World War. I also am a collector of military postcards & Christmas cards & other memorabila from "The Great War"

I hope the coverage in the local press will encourage interest in the surrounding area, to both attend the event and also purchase the book. I was impressed by the original production, so i am pleased to hear that the new book will be an even better read, with more photos and a roll of honour. Congratulations to all involved.

Jonathon,

Talking to one of the collectors from Derry last night. He has the uniform of one of the officers and is thinking of taking it up to display.

His collection of 10th Inniskillings stuff is amazing.

He doesn't come on this forum but is well known up around the City.

There will be a cople of us that are into collecting there as well as the reaerchers.

My grand-mothers brother was in the 9th, he died of his wounds and is buried in Londonderry City cemetery.

Ever heard of a guy called Ivan Noble, his records on the 9th were pretty impressive. Came from Ballinamallard but i think is over in Scotland at the moment.

Whats your grandfathers name and number? Take it you've seen the book 'Wh'een of medals'.

Be good if you could get up.

Into the 10th Inniskillings and Ulster Division Engineers, especially 150th Field Company.

Rob

Hi,

Just to let anyone interested know, the venue has been changed.

The launch of the book 'The Derrys' is now going to be in the Tower museum Londonderry, just inside the City walls off Guildhall square.

Around 8.00pm

Rob

I was present at last night's book launch of "Three Cheers For The Derrys" and was very impressed { even shocked ! } at how good the new edition is. I was taken back by the top quality paper, the large format { when other recent books have been down sizing }, the number of excellent photos, and the extra text and information, which add greatly to the original production. Full credit to Gardiner Mitchell for a first class book, which has been produced to a very high standard . Also full credit to the publishers for their willingness to republish the book, and to achieving such a magnificent result, the presentation is second to none. Anyone who is interested in this period should definitely endeavour to purchase this book, because it is certainly deserving of a wide audience.

Thanks also to Rob Elliott for posting information about the launch on this forum, and he also should take pride in the book he has helped Gardiner bring once again to our attendance and notice.

• 5 months later...
Chris,

I think you'll find its more like 16-17 years since the book was done.

As a couple of the above posts mention i did a little research for the new edition and therefore do not feel i should say too much about the quality of the contents, but i would like to outline why i feel the second edition was due.

The First edition was a labour of love for Gardiner Mitchell, as with most authors who post on this forum, because of his great-uncle Jim on whose story the book is mainly based.

Gardiner wanted to get the book out for Jim while he was still with us so that he would know his comrades were still remembered.

This was achieved and its great credit to Gardiner that it was done.

As with most books, shortly after publishing, people came forward with more stories and photographs.

It was about this time i got to know Gardiner as i had been doing a [very] little research of my own on the 10th Inniskillings.

By good fortune we were informed of the possibity there was another veteran of the battalion still alive a Mr James Monteith of Londonderry who lived in a nursing home in Moneymore. They had no idea he was an old soldier.

He had lived in the home for nearly thirty years and in all those years he never had a visitor to see him about his war service.

Ironically only 400 yards away lived one of the most famous of the 10th Inniskilling and Ulster Division veterans, Leslie Bell.

Leslie was rolled out every opportunity to give a quote, yet his war ended in his first attack about 300 yards from our front line on the 1st July 1916.

Mr Monteith served in every major battle the 36th Ulster Division took part in after the Somme, as he was in Ireland training at the time, including

Messines, Cambrai, Passchendaele. Langemark, the March retreat and the crossing of the Lys.

We were priviliged to be able to spend some time with him. At 92 he looked 72 and his memory for events 70 odd years previous, put mine for things last week to shame.

Its been about 15 years since Jim, Leslie and James died and all the additional information from interviews, families stories and newly found photograghs were stored in boxes while we got on with jobs, houses and families.

So earlier this year having got rid of all the things holding us back, jobs, houses etc [only jesting] Gardiner decided to look into it, again with a definate goal in mind, using the additional information now available.

A lot of local feedback stated that an updated edition would, in the light of the current wave of interest in Ireland for the Great War, compliment the work being carried out in Londonderry regarding the war memorial project by Trevor Temple and Mary McIlhenney and add to the general interest.

I fully agreed with this sentiment and i along with many others pressed Gardiner to give it a go.

There are many historical and factual books being done now, but fewer recollections of veterans.

Many people will not have seen the first edition, which i believe stands well against more academic works.

As yet i have not seen a copy of the new book and like Des am eager to do so.

I have seen the new photos to be included and they are very good. I think Teddy at the Ulster Tower may be interested to see what the excavated trenches in Thiepval Wood looked like just before the 1st July.

I hope you guys enjoy the book and have just one question i'm sure we would all like the answer to- whens the Ulster Division memorial book going to be put together?

I trust no forum rules have been streched regarding promoting a [semi] commercial venture!

Rob

Hi Rob, this is what I was looking for, would really love a copy of the new book, please let me know where I can obtain one.

David

Hi Rob, I seem to be dithering about on here mate, want to obtain a copy of the new book " The derry's" and a copy of that Diary if there are any still available, ref the Diamond War Memorial appeal.

David

Can I add my voice to the others here in praise of 'Three Cheers for the Derrys'. I got a copy last thursday and I think the format and content are excellent. The recollections of the veterans featured are very well illustrated with contemporary photographs and I was particularly struck by the comparison of their photos as young men in uniform and then as old men at home in their armchairs. This 'local' history greatly enriches our understanding of the war and its impact on the men who fought it, and its adds to that canon of work that ensures 'their name liveth for evermore'.

David,

Sent you a PM, copies still available in Easons Foyleside.

Innish' yes its a good book, one of the best unit unit histories done privately, very readable.

The research for the families is still on-going, only had an e-mail today off Gardiner regarding the family of a man from South Londonderry, who was killed, after information.

Many records now on Ancestry for Derry and Donegal men help build the picture.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Now I am back in Surrey, I managed to order a copy through Amazon. Interseting about J Monteith, my sisiter lives there must check if she knows him, we had Monteiths in the family at some point and also my father owned a cane with the wording W Monteith engraved on the handle, I still have that. Might have come from his time in the B Specials though.

Planning a trip possibly next year to the POW areas where my father was held, if I find anything interesting I will let you know.

• 6 years later...

review copy received.

I have nothing but the highest praise for this re-vamped volume. Anyone with the slightest interest in Ulster Division, Inniskillings, the city and county of Londonderry (and Donegal for that matter) should have this in their collection.

Well written, amply illustrated, carefully researched and presented in a top quality format (A4).

I devoured this book first time around and the added information, pictures and accounts simply made my 'return' to its pages all the more satisfying. A fine big feast of a book to tuck into.

Three cheers for the production team. Three cheers for the author. Three cheers for those who backed him up.

Three cheers for the Derrys.

Des

Bump.

Hi I'm interested in the 11th being the main Donegal battalion. Interesting to hear there was also some in the 10th - take it this would have been from the Foyle and Inishowen hinterland? Is it worth getting this book from a Donegal perspective?