The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Boyelles

SMG65

This building is just outside Boyelles as you go over the flyover en route to Bapaume and I believe it is an old railway station used by the British, I have also been told that there was artillery in front of it next to the flyover.

Can anyone confirm this?

Sorry for the picture, Photoshop is on my Xmas Wish List.

Sean

Hopefully, I'll get it right this time.

Sean

post-3821-1227010396.jpg

Hi Sean

The building you have photographed didn't exist during the war, the station was about 40 metres further along the track towards Boisleux-St-Marc. There could well have been artillery there at some point, probably in April 1917 supporting 30th or 21st Divisions attacks on the 9th and subsequent attacks on Wancourt etc. I don't have information as yet on which units it might have been. Boyelles and the villages around were all part of the ground given up by the Germans in their retreat March 1917 and as such not a great deal was left as usable by the British. My neighbours in Boiry Becquerelle have given me an impression that most buildings were raised to the ground although cellars were still usable.

Thanks Jim, I have been told that a veteran used to like to visit the flyover as it was just to the left of it that he lost a leg whilst erving with the artillery.

It would make sense to have artillery positions near a railway.

Sean

Paul

I don't know but it was somebody who was at least around until the 1980's, probably the 90's.

The joke was that the veteran would always want to have a look round for his leg when he visited the area.

Sean