The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Australians "shot at dawn"

alfie

Hello folks,

Can anone tell me the names of the three Australians who recieved the death penalty whilst serving with British or New Zealand units?

Any further details would be appreciated

Guest Les Croft

Hi Alfie

If you follow this link http://www.shotatdawn.org.uk/ you can see that there is a section called the Australian Experience.

If you're interested in 'shot at dawn' I highly recommend a trip to The National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffs. It's inbetween Burton on Trent and Lichfield.

A very moving memorial to the men 'shot at dawn'.

There were five NZ shot at dawn

J Braithwaite and F Hughes both came from NZ according to CWGC

JJ Sweeney1 Otago, J King 1 Canterbury, and VN Spencer 1 Otago regt not listed with address of NoK so cant help with them, but always a possibility.

All were Privates

John

The 5 NZers shot at dawn were

*Jack BRAITHWAITE service number (WWI) 24/1521

*Private Frank HUGHES service number (WWI) 24/2008

*Private John KING service number (WWI) 6/1598

*Private Victor Manson SPENCER service number (WWI) 8/2733

*Private John Joseph SWEENEY service number (WWI) 8/1384

Their personal files are all available at NZ Military Archives, Trentham Camp. who have informed me that

"We have searched all of the above service men's personal files and can find no records regarding any Memorial Scrolls or Memorial Plaques been issued to their next of kin. All of the above service men were executed and because of the offence they lost their entitlement to any medallic awards. I can only conclude that perhaps a decision was made that the next of kin also lost their entitlement regarding receiving the Memorial Scroll and Memorial Plaque."

"The above service men were given a pardon on 14 September 2000.

The Medals Officer and myself remember some discussion (after September 2000) at Headquarters regarding medallic awards for the Next of Kin. We are unable to tell you if a decision was made or if medallic awards were issued to the Next of Kin as there are no details recorded on their personal files. We are unable to ask the person concerned as he is no longer employed by the NZDF."

Surname SWEENEY

Given Name John Joseph

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 8/1384

Rank Private

Body or Draft Second

Unit or Regiment Otago Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Pirinoa Featherston

Next of Kin Title B

Next of Kin Surname SWEENEY

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Lietenna Scottsdale Line Tasmania

Surname KING

Given Name John

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 6/1598

Rank Private

Body or Draft Third

Unit or Regiment Canterbury Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address C/- Mr Duffie Huntly

Next of Kin Title Mrs Maud

Next of Kin Surname HUMPHRIES

Next of Kin Relationship Sister

Next of Kin Address Howard St Randwick Sydney New South Wales

I think Spencer is a NZer

Thanks Christine... knew it was one for you.... :D

By the way was interested in the earlier comment on the medals.

As they have been pardoned would they be issued with any medals, scrolls or plaque? or is that a step too far?

John

That was the archivist at the Army archives.

I did get a letter from a friend saying that he had heard that relatives of these men could claim their medals, but the files do not state what medals they were entitled to. Also, I doubt whether there are any spare copies of whatever medals they were entitled to now available, and I doubt that the NZ govt will print off 5 more copies!

Alfie, who was the Australian that was shot by the British?

Guest Pete Wood

Um, Christine as you know the comments from records were based on a request you made on my behalf. This was after I had pointed out that at least one medal was made for one of the above named NZ soldiers.

The fact the medal was not issued (or may not have been issued) is a fair point, but I think it right to point out that the archivist said they "can find no records regarding any Memorial Scrolls or Memorial Plaques been issued to their next of kin."

This doesn't mean that they weren't made. For all we know the plaques might be among those stored at Auckland.....?? Have you spoken to Rose about this.....??

I do congratulate NZ on its policy to give the relatives of these men, their medal entitlement, if they can be traced. But as you have said, most of the medals (and plaques and scrolls) can no longer be put back into production.

I found one reference to 3 Australians killed whilst serving with NZ and British units (cant find it at the moment) Other references to Sjt Verney Asser hung for murder 1918 and Pte Albert Fraser hung for murder in 1920. J Sweeney is the only one who appears to have been shot, although the two named above may not be included in the original 3.