The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte John Onions 622681 44th, 52nd CEF

rcsmith

My grandfather, John Onions MM, suffered a Shell wound to his face and upper shoulder on August 28, 1918. I have a copy of his attestation papers and he was "adm 53 Gen Hosp. Boulogne" on September 3, 1918. Does this mean he was near Boulogne when he was injured? Was he fighting at the Somme? Also, when he joined he was with the 44th, but transferred to the 52nd. Would he have had both badges? Unfortunately, his medals and badges were stolen many years ago so I never got to see them. He was awarded his Military Medal for bravery in the Field on July 9, 1917 - I saw the entry in the London Gazette, but is there anywhere I can look to find out what he did to warrant the award?

Thank you for any information.

Cindy

Hi Cindy:

Here's the information contained in the Nominal Roll of 44th Battalion's history:

Name: Onions, John

Regimental number: 622681

Original unit: 44th Battalion

Disposition and date: Demobilized April 24, 1919

Theater of service: France (U.K. 44th Battalion)

During August and September 1918 the Canadian Corps was involved in the Battles of Arras and the Drocourt-Queant line, located just south of Vimy Ridge. The Battle of Arras started on August 26. On August 28 the 3rd Division launched a six battalion attack on the Fresnes- Rouvroy line. In heavy fighting the 58th and 52nd Battalions broke into and captured the village of Boiry-Notre Dame. Attached is the 52nd Battalion's war diary entry for August 28, 1918.

You might find more information on your grandfather's Military Medal by checking the 44th and 52nd Battalions war diaries.

The 44th Battalion war diaries are located here.

The 52nd Battalion war diaries are located here.

To order you grandfather's service records use this link.

You'll need to supply the National Archives of Canada the following information:

Name: Onions, John

Regimental number: 622681

Reference: RG 150, Box 7473-47

Knowing how soldiers hoarded and collected badges, I'd say there was a good chance he came home with both his cap badges.

Garth

post-1-1078999600.jpg

Garth, what reference do you use for your maps? I've been looking for something that gives me a similar level of detail.

Thanks

marc

Garth, what reference do you use for your maps? I've been looking for something that gives me a similar level of detail.

Hi Marc:

To be honest with you, I can't remember where I got the original; will check my personal library this weekend and see if I can provide you with a source. I've scanned and saved 150+ maps over the last couple of years. It's handy to have a map that you can print and write notes on when you're reading about a particular battle.

If you'll e-mail me off forum I'll send you the above map and a more detailed map of Arras.

Garth

Thank you Garth and Marc! I appreciate all the help, and will be doing lots of reading tonight!

Cindy