The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Soldiers War

stu

I was given this book as a gift recently, and having just finished it I thought I would let everyone know what a great read I thought it was.

Using a great deal of previously unpublished material this book covers each year of the war, and by using the soldiers words the author not only details the grim reality of the soldiers experiences ( of which there is plenty ) but refreshingly also looks at the lighter side of their lives away from the front line.

This book also contains some really superb photos most of which I have never seen before. Instead of the usual images that seem to be used in most recent Great War books, the author only uses images taken by the soldiers themselves using their own small pocket cameras, and although one or two of the images aren't particularly clear this is understandable given the circumstances under which they were taken and the quality of the equipment they probably had to use.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone.

I've just bought this from Amazon and am extremely impressed. I never write reviews of books, but was tempted to do so for this title. However, it seems someone has got there first and I thought this review summed the book up perfectly.

The Soldiers' War is genuinely exceptional. There are other Great War anthologies around, but this one stands out by a country mile. The book claims to contain primarily unpublished stories from 1914-1918 and whilst I do not know enough about the period to comment, I do not recognise any accounts that I have read before. Furthermore, the breadth and exquisite balance of the tales here makes this book so very gripping.

The book contains not just the familiar stories associated with the war, but others that I have never even thought about: There is a man pulling 18th Century pewter from a dugout, another finding a Roman Sword uncovered by a shell explosion. There are stories of the survival and the beauty of nature, and of men locating trout ponds behind the Somme Battlefield for a spot of fishing.

Some of the stories are frightening and, at times, violent; many others are deeply moving and occasionally almost poetic, emotionally charged as they are. Others are genuinely funny, such as the officer who writes about two Geordie friends one of whom is shot and wounded. One man rips open the tunic of the other, looks at the wound and says `ee man, its champion'. The friend, pleased with the nice wound, replies: `Howay, Geordie, gan awa and shake hands with the German for bein' sae canny.' The incredible gallows humour of conflict.

I found the illustrations extraordinary, not least because the soldiers themselves took them, using their own private cameras, which were banned and therefore illegal. I've never seen such privately taken images elsewhere, although one slight nit-picky point here is the quality of reproduction - it's good, but given their historical importance might have been a little better. That said, on the eve of the 90th anniversary of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, this book is an outstanding tribute to those men who lost so much, and whose sacrifices we must keep on remembering.

Very, very highly recommended

I got my copy from The Book People, (who call at our office fortnightly, and leave a seletion of books to choose from) for £7! Bargain! They also have a website, and phone ordering. Haven't read the book yet, but I agree that the photos are very good, and not the ones we usually see.

• 10 months later...

I was fortunate enough to find a copy on Cambridge Market the other month @ £2.00,A great & insicive read & Good unseen Photos to Boot!!

I worked extensively with Richard on this book and am glad that the pictures have been picked up as being unique. There are so many VPK pictures out there that provide a truly astonishing picture of life at the front. These pictures, quite obviously, show a different side than that covered by official photographers. I should also add that pretty much all the letters/diaries/memoirs we used hadn’t been published before. They, along with many of the photos, were scourced from various regimental museums as well as IWM, Liddle Archive etc. I am glad that it is being read as there are some terrific accounts in there. Please do review the book when you have finished it.

Cheers