The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Paperback version Most Unfavourable Ground

n cherry

I would like to apologise to any forum members who have a paperback copy of MuG for the unfortunate error on page 97....kindly pointed out by a forum member......

I did not get to see the 'new' version and would have assumed that the layout would have stayed the same but not the case on page 97 where a table has been inserted into the middle of some text!

I have spoken to Helion and they said they will correct next time some are run off......

This does not affect the lucky people who had the hardback version as there is no problem with the text on page 97!

Once again apologies.......

Just finished my copy today, will no doubt returning to it frequently for info and references.

Excellent and thoroughly reccomended to all forum members with an interest in the battle.

Chris

I would like to apologise to any forum members who have a paperback copy of MuG for the unfortunate error on page 97....kindly pointed out by a forum member......

I did not get to see the 'new' version and would have assumed that the layout would have stayed the same but not the case on page 97 where a table has been inserted into the middle of some text!

I have spoken to Helion and they said they will correct next time some are run off......

This does not affect the lucky people who had the hardback version as there is no problem with the text on page 97!

Once again apologies.......

Regret to say it's not just page 97 but every casualty table in that chapter, if not mistaken

but I hasten to add that it is obviously an editing error and does not detract from the quality of the book as a whole, which I found extremely interesting

cheers Martin B

Regret to say it's not just page 97 but every casualty table in that chapter, if not mistaken

but I hasten to add that it is obviously an editing error and does not detract from the quality of the book as a whole, which I found extremely interesting

cheers Martin B

Martin,

Thanks for the info.....I'll check it out and send a list to Helion......

NC

• 2 weeks later...
Comes to something if the author can't spot all the errors.

This seems a little unfair. These are clearly formatting/typsetting errors, likely generated after the manuscript has left the author's hands. If you have had a text come out in hardback and sell out, and it is then reissued (not revised and updated etc, not another edition but simply reprinted in another binding) I should think the emphasis here is on the publisher and printer. I would not think it is incumbent upon the author to recheck the typsetting, nor would I imagine any but the most egotistical authors spend much time reading their own book.

This seems a little unfair. These are clearly formatting/typsetting errors, likely generated after the manuscript has left the author's hands. If you have had a text come out in hardback and sell out, and it is then reissued (not revised and updated etc, not another edition but simply reprinted in another binding) I should think the emphasis here is on the publisher and printer. I would not think it is incumbent upon the author to recheck the typsetting, nor would I imagine any but the most egotistical authors spend much time reading their own book.

4th Gordons,

I agree.....and to my old friend Mr Willis...if you read the thread correctly I did say I ddin't get to see the paperback version till it had been printed!