The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A BOOK ABOUT NORTH IRISH SOLDIERS KILLED IN THE GREAT WAR

alf mcm

Back in 1979 Robert Thompson placed a request in our local paper 'The West Lothian Courier' for informatiomn regarding Hugh Crawford M.M., who had served with the 1st Dragoon Guards and the Machine Gun Corps. This was for his forthcoming book on North Irish soldiers who died in the Great War.

I would like to know, firstly, was the book ever published? If so, what was it's title, and where can I get a copy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf - Robert has written a number of books about soldiers from Northern Ireland - researching the men named on the memorials of a number of towns. The ones I can think of are Bushmills Heroes, Ballymoney Heroes, Coleraine Heroes, and Portstewart Heroes, but I think there may be a couple of others. So I assume that Hugh Crawford appears on one of these memorials.

Does Hugh have a link to any Northern Ireland town, that you are aware of?

Alan

An update to the above - I see from Hugh's CWGC entry that he is from Ballymoney.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=575818

So I suspect the book you are interested in is Ballymoney Heroes. I don't have a copy, but I'm sure other NI pals will, so hopefully they can check to see if he is mentioned.

Also, Abebooks.co.uk have a copy for sale.

Alan