The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Old Soldiers Never Die...Frank Richards

Clarey_71

Have been researching a lad on the Sarn Baptist Chapel roll of honour. Private William Lloyd 54568, A Coy 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Ex-9116 RWF. KIA 26.9.17 aged 21 and commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial. Born Newtown enlisted Welshpool, parents address given in Knighton.

On page 99 of Frank Richards' Old Soldiers, he talks of a Private Lloyd, "a young time-serving soldier with about two years service, but one of the old Expeditionary Force...". Could this be "my" William? Does the earlier number of 9116 show Territorial service or show that he could have been with the original 2nd Battalion? I know that there is an annotated version of Old Soldiers and wonder whether anyone has a copy, and could check to see if the Pte Lloyd Richards mentions is identified.

I have also read Captain Dunn's wonderful work, but if there are any other sources that may help to give more background to Lloyd 54568 I would be very grateful (I have his medal card and cannot locate his service records on ancestry).

Thank you

Clare

ps this is also posted on the Soldiers forum

I'm sure that our Pal Grumpy, who produced the annotated version, will be along shortly to answer your question, Clare. Welcome to the Forum by the way. :)

Jim

John Krijnen and I believed the Lloyd of the anecdote was 11206 TJ Lloyd, mainly because his number fitted the'two years service'. [RWF used about 350 numbers per annum, and had got to 12000 as war broke out.]

On my database, 9116 was Pte G Comerford, indeed a 2nd battalion man.

I am inclined to believe that 'your' Lloyd was not RWF in the first instance, but was transferred from another regiment: his number is almost certainly not the RWF SR battalion [3rd] but might just be a TF battalion one.

RWF were not kind to historians: their TF battalions did not have an identifying prefix.

I assume you have scrabbled around for medal index card and CWGC entry?

I have also read Captain Dunn's wonderful work, but if there are any other sources that may help to give more background to Lloyd 54568 I would be very grateful (I have his medal card and cannot locate his service records on ancestry).

Thank you

Clare

Hi Clare. Captain Dunn was scathing in his dismissal of Robert Graves' " Goodbye to all that ", but it ought to be read. It was written by an officer in RWF who was an outstanding author. Of course, Sassoon was another great literary figure who's poetry and prose was coloured by his service in the same regiment. Reading his poetry, it can be hard to remember that he was known as " Mad Jack".

Jim Tom and Mr Grumpy thank you for your welcome and input. I think I got carried away with the notion that Richards was talking about my Lloyd, on checking his medal card I see that he is not entitled to the 14-15 Star and therefore does not fit the "two years' service". There is another 2nd btn casualty on the Sarn roll of honour, Private John Herbert Williams 37086, who died on 19th October 1917. Dunn mentions on October 21st that "...B company had about a dozen (casualties) two days ago", and Williams is one of 3 2nd btn men killed on that day and commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial.

I think I should invest in a copy of the annotated Richards, as I found myself reading through the book and searching for clues to the identity of the characters (the Athlete, bank clerk, architect etc). I need to stay focussed and concentrate on the "Sarn boys"!