The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Coalhouse Fort East Tilbury Essex

dsms

Short notice but if anyone in Essex or further afield are interested

The Coalhouse Fort Project has a non denominational 90th Anniversary Memorial Service this coming Sunday 30th November.

Doors to the Fort open at 11am with the service commencing at 12 noon.

The service coincides with a Fort open day and guided tours being conducted throughout the afternoon, many (mainly WW2 and later) military vehicles will also be on display.

For those who are unaware, the Fort is one of many Victorian Palmerston forts around the country and it formed part of the defenses of London, units stationed here during WW1 included: No2 Company R.G.A, Essex and Suffolk RGA, London Electrical Engineers (R.E) and 1st Res. G.B. Suffolk Regiment. The fort military museum housing a number of photographs of the period.

For further details see http://www.coalhousefort.co.uk

• 3 years later...

here's an image i believe was taken at the Coalhouse, maybe someone can confirm? The chap to the right of the officer in the centre is Thomas Newton Davey, who i know held the rank of Corporal whilst he was stationed there on AA duties (for which he was MiD)

post-5610-0-06921000-1351589421_thumb.jp

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

There will be an open weekend at the fort on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th October 2024. I aim to be in attendance - so drop me a PM if aiming to come along, as I'm always interested to meet fellow Great War 'enthusiasts'. :)

458408910_10160835154913220_4009749386518514343_n.jpg.65d8682cc34c2d107a393517d617c496.jpg

Edited by bierast